Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Improved fire grate

Options
I just wanted to say that I've now used my new fire grate for 40 lbs of Rockwood charcoal. Wow!!! It's like a new and improved BGE. Love it!!! That's all.

Comments

• Tillerman
    Options
    Was that a replacement from BGE or did you do that on your own?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Tillerman said:

I produce the one pictured above.  I'm out of the Larges right now, but the next batch should be fabricated next week......switching over to a plasma table.

• Powderhound
    Options
    Well done!  Do you find that more airflow is getting the egg hotter faster? 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    @Stlcharcoal, will you have XL's too? Seems interesting.
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    radamo said:
    @Stlcharcoal, will you have XL's too? Seems interesting.
    Rich
    Nope......The grate on the XL is 18" in diameter which is over 3x the material as the Large grate. There would be 4x the wasted stainless when cut out of the sheet, plus it would be 3x as much to ship because of the size & weight. My guess is it would be close to $100 shipped--way too much. Then to top it all off, I don't know if it will support that 10+ lbs of charcoal sitting on top of it at high temps.

Here's the solution, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy TWO of the 18.5" Weber grates for their 22" grill. They're $8.97 last time I checked. Sandwich them together at a 90 degree angle to form a crosshatch. If you can spot weld it, hit it in a few spots to lock them together (or you can bound them together with a finish nail, safety wire, etc.) This will work just as well as what I would make, all for a 1/5 of the cost.  I've been running mine for 2 yrs without any issues.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Tillerman said:

I produce the one pictured above.  I'm out of the Larges right now, but the next batch should be fabricated next week......switching over to a plasma table.

What's the site?  I can't find the grate on your website.. thanks! (large)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I don't have them on my website......I have them in my eBay store with the iQues.

Don't buy either on eBay though.  Just send me an email through the website and give you a better deal.