Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

....different twists (at least for me!) to pulled pork!

Hey, everyone -

I tried a few new things today and wanted to share with the group.  We had long-time college friends over for the last few days and wanted to share some good ol' Carolina Pulled Pork with them. For me, this was the first time I had prepared the butt this way so, again, I wanted to share with the group.

1.) I've never injected a butt before.  It was a simple injection recipe (apple juice + apple cider vinegar + Worcestershire + salt + brown sugar + water) that I injected throughout the pork.
2.) I've never "brined" a butt before.  I soaked the butt overnight in the same goodness I injected.
3.) I had the butt indirect @ 210 degrees over a drip-pan with some apple juice (as usual.)  But, at 160 degrees, I wrapped the butt in foil and poured some of the juices from the drip pan into the foil (which I've never done before) and finished in the foil.

I pulled @ 203 degrees internal but was only able to let it sit for maybe 30-min (while the table was set and the rest of dinner was prep'd.) 

4.) Lastly, I chopped instead of pulling - again, first time I've done that.

It was amazing (not a first!) but the taste was so different - in a great way.  Incredibly juicy and incredibly flavorful!   ...a very intense pork flavor!

Again, I'm sure not an original approach - but, for me it was the first time and I'll definitely do it this way again!

Comments

• Sounds intense and delicious!!

XLBGE 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Excellent.

I was cooking butt's before I ever got an Egg.   Continued on with the Egg.   Not sure how many Butts I have cooked, but only recently started injecting.

Wow - I agree the injection is fabulous.

That's the great thing about this site, everyone is trying new things and then we all learn from it.

I will try your injection mix next time.   I have been using Hot Sauce and Italian Salad dressing ( got the salad dressing idea from this site).

Good job - bring more ideas!!!!

Cookin in Texas
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sounds great Egger, I still need to inject a butt one time.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ...I should have included in the first post.  Here is the simple injection I used:

1c apple juice
    1/2c apple cider vinegar
    1/2c water
    1c brown sugar
    1/4c kosher salt
    2T Worcestershire sauce

I injected that throughout and then let the butt soak in that overnight.  I rubbed with Kansas City Sweet about an hour before going onto the egg.

The one "negative" is that it didn't develop a thick bark...but, it was a great flavor throughout and the most moist I've done.

So...that's that.
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22

Sounds Great! I brine and inject all the time. I use a product called Smoke on Wheels (pork) to inject and then soke my butts in for 8 to 10 hours. The Smoke on Wheels gives the pork a great taste. 

I have used it in several BBQ competitions and have done well with it.