Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What Was Your First Job?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey said:

Setting bowling pins for a nickel a frame.

They bowled in the 1800's?

:-/
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    My step dad married my mom when I was 6. At six I was roofing, laying block, pouring concrete, etc... First paying job a dishwasher at a steakhouse. Junior summer did 40 hours hauling lumber at a construction site and 30 at the restaurant. I've been paying my own way ever since.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Delivered newspapers at 10, started parking cars at the Salinas Rodeo at 12 and at 13 was cutting meat with my dad and grandfather.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    My first steady student level part time job was Police Cadet/Dispatcher/Booking Officer while I started college.  My first self supporting job was a Police Officer.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I worked at an old Super Market chain called Alpha Beta when I was about 15 and a half...for about 2 weeks before I missed a shift and was let go.  Ended up getting a job a few months later at Domino's pizza, which was actually a fun gig as one of my best friends was a manager. Funny enough, the brother of my then girlfriend managed a liquor store across the street...so pizza/beer trades were a common thing, which was pretty great for a 17 year old
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Shucking oysters for an oyster bar. 15 years old
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505

Paper route for the Muskegon Chronicle in Muskegon, MI.  Winters were tough.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    tobacco farm...from planting to harvest 6 days a week just abought all day...no sick days or call in's...got real friendly with a garden hoe and wore nothing but shorts - sneakers - t shirt -ball cap.  Tough way to make enough money to buy the first ride ..... 1973 Buick Century!  and a pretty durn good tractor driver at 8 years old!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• henapple
    Got real friendly with a garden hoe? Me too.
  • The weirdest job for a young person I've heard of belonged to my first roommate at college.  I can't remember the guy's name, but I remember some of what he told me.  The City of Hazel Park, Michigan didn't have their own in-house coroner transport service.  It was private.  My roommate's job was to transport bodies.  He went to accident scenes, suicides...anywhere.  I remember him telling me about going to an accident scene and people were fanning out looking for some poor soul's head.  He said they put the head in loose inside the body bag.  His term for a decomposed body was "a stinker".  An interesting and mostly disgusting way to make a buck to be sure.
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Dishwasher at an airport restaurant. Was a bartender by the time I was 15, I was a big kid nobody asked my age :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The weirdest job for a young person I've heard of belonged to my first roommate at college.  I can't remember the guy's name, but I remember some of what he told me.  The City of Hazel Park, Michigan didn't have their own in-house coroner transport service.  It was private.  My roommate's job was to transport bodies.  He went to accident scenes, suicides...anywhere.  I remember him telling me about going to an accident scene and people were fanning out looking for some poor soul's head.  He said they put the head in loose inside the body bag.  His term for a decomposed body was "a stinker".  An interesting and mostly disgusting way to make a buck to be sure.
    I was a cop, and at the same time a volunteer fireman.  Oooo, the corpse stories I could tell.  Some involved shovels.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Cook, prep, and cut at CiCi's Pizza. Fun job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Groundskeeper at the local baseball park when I was 14.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My dad was a carpenter built houses and decks and anything in between. I worked for/with him alot and loved it. I remember roofing a barn at 7 years old. My first job not counting my dad was picking produce on a 1000 acre farm at 13 years old. Got paid by the pound of everything you picked. Then we would go sell it at the farmers market on the weekend.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Clerking in my parents law office.  Mostly at court house going thru old records.  Learned early the science was a lot more fun than reading the law.  
    The other half of the time filling manure in empty oats sacks and pedaling fresh manure in the hood to pay for my horse upkeep and entry fees.....
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Mickey said:
    Setting bowling pins for a nickel a frame. Blue Velvet and Sugar Shack were big songs, you guess the year.
    62' 63'? I think I was 4.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Well I built a garage because someone said they wanted to start a "Math Lab" in a garage. A few days later a lot of traffic going in and out of my garage. One little letter off (a/e) and I'm spending ten years in the slammer. Cell 22 at the local pen. Luckily for me they allow the Internet.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    My dad owned a hand-made shoe store in downtown Calcutta, I helped him make and sell shoes everyday after school.  
    canuckland
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I ran a Sporting Clay's facility in Tampa.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Learned early that science was a lot more fun than reading the law. 
    I'm curious, what have you ended up doing for a living?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Well I built a garage because someone said they wanted to start a "Math Lab" in a garage. A few days later a lot of traffic going in and out of my garage. One little letter off (a/e) and I'm spending ten years in the slammer. Cell 22 at the local pen. Luckily for me they allow the Internet.
    I'm hoping you're joking here!   :-O

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Started as a cart boy at 14 with the local golf course. Had to be there at 0430 to line up carts at the starter shed, pick balls off of the driving range, collect trash from the course receptacles and wash carts at the end of the day. First and only time I ever worked outside.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Botch said:
    Learned early that science was a lot more fun than reading the law. 
    I'm curious, what have you ended up doing for a living?  
    Ended up as a Clinical Chemist and worked in a Hospital Chemisrty lab for 10 yrs.  
    Went to big Pharma when other half was sent back to the east coast.  Stayed in the lab and did methods development for new drug discovery and managed the clinical side for phase 3 drug testing lab.  
    Left lab 23 years ago to take a field service position with a company that makes scientific equipment that I used in the lab. 
    I have a fancy title, but my main job is to repair the machines, repair the chemistry or repair the customer.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    Bagging groceries and hoping for tips after loading them in cars!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Scrubbing pots n pans @ the famous Aunt Fanny's Cabin at 14yrs old, 1984, Smyrna, Ga.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Started out cutting grass, graduated to setting up and tearing down church festivals, to cleaning out movie theaters on graveyard shift, to bagging aquarium filter charcoal for a pet supply distributor. At the time I thought I was movin' on up.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143

Setting pins at a bowling alley for bowling leagues 2 leagues a night  each league had 10 bowlers and i set 2 alleys and made 3.00 a league so i made 6.00 a night that was 1955

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

Rasied and worked on my Grandfather's farm from age 8 to 16.  Bailed and drove my first load of hay at 10.  Dumped it coming out of the field onto the side road.  Old lad just laughed, rolled a cigarette and said, 'you lost it you reload it.'  Hated him that day.  Served me well though at 16 working in the kitchen at a ski lodge.  Sent out to clean up a mess of french fries and mustard someone had dropped at the cash.  Saw the mess and figured whoever dropped that should clean it up.  Said so, was fired, got on the chair lift and started working the top of the hill ten minutes later.  Been reloading ever since.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini