Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining?

Options

I generally brine pork loin, spachcook chicken, etc... and love the results.  Got me to thinking (which often times can be dangerous) does anyone ever brine beef?  I was under the impression that brining was meant for leaner cuts of meat to help with moisture, tenderness, etc...  would brining possibly work on a top round roast for say Baltimore pit Beef? What about brining brisket, butts, etc....  waste of time?

Appreciate all of your thoughts.  Thanks. 

XL BGE

Comments

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I don't brine beef because IMHO it just doesn't need it. The lack of intramuscular fat on a pork loin or chicken is normally why you would brine, but beef (good beef) has plenty. I'm sure you will find someone doing it, but again IMHO I don't think it's needed for normal cuts.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I brined an eye of round once .. it kind of tastes like corned beef - and for good reason.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    TonyA said:
    I brined an eye of round once .. it kind of tastes like corned beef - and for good reason.
    Exactly, if you brine beef you will be going down a pastrami/corn beef avenue.  Marinate it sir, no need to brine.