Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large VS XL. Which Produces Moister Meats on Smaller Cooks?

Options
I am having a difficult time in deciding which egg to buy. I like the idea of extra space with the XL, but will it still produce moist meats during smaller cook as the large? Like if you were to cook one pork butt on each, would the one on the large be more moist and juicy, or doesn't it really matter with eggs? I know on most metal smokers, if the smoker is too big, you will need to add a water pan on smaller cooks to get moist meats. Does the same rule apply to BGE's?

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I am of the opinion that they will both produce a moist Butt with no noticeable difference between them. Like you said the XL is great for larger cook. I sometimes wish I had gotten the XL since I like to cook a bunch when I cook.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Get 2 larges and the problem is solved....no difference in cooking except the anount of lump you use...
  • MagicMike
    MagicMike Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok thanks GaryLange and vidalia1. I like the idea of two larges but IDK how the wife would feel about it haha. Sounds like they both will produce the same result which makes my decision a little less difficult.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

I don't have a large but I doubt there is any noticeable difference.  I was hard set on a large and when we went to the dealer to close the deal, my wife noticed the XL and said I should get the bigger one since it wasn't that much more.  Who am I to argue with her so we bought the XL.  Most of my cooks are just the four of us but it is nice to have the extra space for veggies, apps, etc. and for the occasional larger cooks.  It is also much easier to get two different temperatures with the XL.  You can push the lump to the back and have a hotter zone in the back and cooler in the front or you can use the CGS lump reducing ring and have a cooler area around the perimeter of the grid.

If you are torn between the two, I would get the XL.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• MagicMike
    MagicMike Posts: 40
    Options
    That's a good point about the two different cooking zones. I am definitely leaning more towards the XL now.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Get 2 XLs - I'm sure you will be happy. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I haven't noticed any difference in moistness of a butt between XL, L, or S Eggs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't think there is any difference between the large and XL in regards to cooking. I went with the large simply because the majority of my cooks are for either my wife and myself or a small group of friends. I still haven't had a cook where I needed more space than what a large could provide.

I figured I would start out with a large and if I ever needed to upgrade, sell it and spend the extra cash for an XL later. I haven't gotten to that point yet.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Generally there should be no significant difference.  However, when I cook my usual two full racks of baby back ribs flat, they cook more evenly in the XL ... no more drier overcooked ends that overhang the platesetter in the Large (I used to protect the ends with foil underneath).
    canuckland