Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Knives

hey guys......as I get more and more into cooking I have been researching a bit on some decent knives for the kitchen.  i dont mind to spend a decent amount but i dont want to break the bank.

my wife and I have narrowed it down to two basic choices.  they are

#1 zwilling twin cuisine 7 piece set for about $399
#2 Wusthof Classic 7 or 8 piece set (cant remember) for about $299

anybody have either of these or any suggestions on something else I should be looking at?

any help as always will be much appreciated.
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would spend the money up front for a chef knife, maybe even a his and her nonmatching set of chef knives. i pretty much only use a chef knife, a fillet knife, and a cheap bread/tomato knife, almost dont know what to do with all the other knives in a set
    :)) you both need to be happy with the chef knife, how it fits your hand, the size and shape etc, all the other knives can be shared as they seem to never get used anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

dont buy a set.

Chef knife, paring knife, and maybe some sory of serrated edge.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    thanks guys...here is what is included in the 7 piece zwilling set;

7-piece set includes:

• 4" paring knife.
    • 5" santoku knife.
    • 8" chef’s knife.
    • 8" bread knife.
    • Kitchen shears.
    • Honing steel.
    • Storage block.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Magnetic rack, santoku, boning, and bread knife are all I need to get by. The others are all bonus that I couldn't pass up since they were such good deals on clearance. Honing steel is a must. My oxo shears and farberware clever have been great, no need to spend more than $20 on shears or meat clever in my opinion.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Woot has a Shun Edo 3-piece set for $229.  (Normally almost $800)

http://www.woot.com/offers/shun-edo-3-piece-knife-set

A good knife/knives are definitely on my wish list.  Are these a good buy?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    The Henckels will have a harder steel than the Wustof making the edge last longer, but, that being said, it will be more difficult to get the edge back once gone. A steel will only maintain an edge not put one back on.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I have a henckels set that I bought 6 years ago from bed bath and beyond. The set was 500 but i used one of their 20% off coupons and it came down to 400. If you are looking for a set check them out as 20% is a great savings. I shopped around and no one compete.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    thanks guys!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I agree with the suggestion to not buy a set.  We got a block set for our wedding, but really only use the chef's knife, paring knife and bread knife.  Doing it over, I'd just focus on those, and maybe double up and get 2 chef's knives, just for those times when my wife and I are doing prep at the same time.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    I really only use a chef's knife, paring knife, boning knife and kitchen shears for almost all of the cooking I do.  I have a Wusthof Classic chef's and paring knife.  I like the Wusthof Classic line - it's right in my sweet spot of price and quality.

Oh, I also use the honing steel EVERY time I use the chef's knife.  It only take 30 seconds and it does make a difference.  As was said earlier it won't sharpen the knife or restore its edge but it will remove the sinusoidal wave that develops along the length of the knife's edge.
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    I too did not buy a set, but have piecemealed together what I needed along the way.  All of my knives are Wusthof Classic and I love them.  I started out with the 8" Chef's knife and a honing steel, which I think is a must have.  I use my steel almost every time I use the knife and after 10 years have not had to sharpen my knife once.  Two years ago I brought my chef's knife to a Williams Sonoma when the Wusthof rep was there doing free sharpening and she handed my knife right back to me and said I take great care of my knife and it does not need to be sharpened.  I love my 8" Chef's knife and use it for almost everything.  Along the way I have added a 8" Santoku (has become my wife's goto), the bread knife (essential for cutting both really soft loafs of bread without crushing them or really crusty bread), the boning knife (awesome for meat and fish alike), the carving knife (great for slicing brisket and turkeys), and a pairing knife.  I would not change a thing and use all of these knives regularly.  No need to spend any more money than these Wusthof knives.  As long as you take good care of them and keep the straight bladed knives honed they will last you a lifetime and making cooking a joy. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Agree w. the above about not going for sets. Personally, I have never enjoyed using a santuko. And for kitchen shears I use a cheap pair of tin snips whose tool steel cuts thru poultry bones pretty much like they are not there.

If you can, handle the knives before purchase. Or see if you can find reviews about where the balance point is, and how the handle length may suit the size of your hand.

The standard 3 knives are the chefs, the utility, and the paring. If I had to, I could get by w. just the chef's and the paring. Concentrate you money on those. For chopping vegetables, I have a very inexpensive nakiri. For boning, an old 2nd hand knife, probably a Dexter-Russel, that I picked up for maybe $4.

If you get a good knife, look around for a competent sharpener in you area, or look at some of the not too expensive hand sharpening systems.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I got mine at tj maxx... $50.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Here are our go-to knives:

I like @nolaegghead 's knife collection. I'm a Wusthof fan as well.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I purchased all my knives at my local restaurant supply store. Definitely no need for the manufactures set. In addition to the steel, an electric sharpener such as the Chefs Choice is a must have to re-establish an edge.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I also urge against buying a set. You need to feel the knife in your hand, and different sizes from the same manufacturer might not feel the same. While out of town and visiting a kitchen store, my husband offered to buy me a Shun. I tried many before deciding on the 6-inch all purpose (it can cut razor thin). I was amazed  how different various Shun knives felt; one chef's knife was too light, and another seemed unbalanced. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    These are my go to knives. Dexter-Russel Japanese.
  • I have a wusthof set. While they are great knives, they cost way to much. I second going to a restaurant supply store. I bought a victorianox chef's knife at one near me. Sharp as a razor 4 years latter, $25 when I bought it. It is my go to for a chef's knife.