Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef's Request steaks

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Local grocery store started carrying Chef's Request CAB filets. Bacon wrapped, and look like hockey pucks.  10 oz for $6.99 (2 filets), so decided to try them.  Seared on CI griddle to 135 IT.  Flavor was wonderful.  Not as tender, melt in your mouth, as some filet, but still good texture.  Family all loved the flavor.  Will do these again for sure.  Started with a Jumbo Lump Cocktail posted earlier

Will be interested to see if anyone else has tried these.

Comments

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    It isn't as tender as some filets because it isn't filet mignon. It is usually fileted sirlion. That said for the money they aren't too bad. I liked them a lot when they were 2 for $3 or $4. :D
    Southern Indiana
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Letz4wheel has this one, they are sirlion center cuts.  I agree with the OP, they are not bad for the money.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Letz4wheel you are absolutely correct. I saw 'filet' and assumed tenderloin. Not so, but still a great tasting steak for not much money. I see they do make a 'tenderloin' as well, which I may try.
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    I assumed the same thing lol. Overcooking is a sin with these things. The dogs can chew on them for hours. Cooked right they are a decent meal.
    Southern Indiana
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ate alot of them this winter and spring, perfect when i was trying to lose weight. 1.50 a piece was nice as well and really convenient.
    :D
    i spice those up pretty heavily
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it