Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Technique Poll

2»

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Yea, I'll sauce some but not all of them at the end. Last 30 minutes and I'll let temp to come up to crystallized it a bit on the ribs.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I've done a number of cooks at 5 hrs no foil. The last couple I tried 3-2-1 but when I got to the last hour the ribs were done and fall off the bone already. Happened both times trying 3-2-1. Does anyone else run into this? I see a handful of 3-1-1 which seems more consistent with what I've seen. Dome 250.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Lately I have been doing 2-1-1 at 250 grid. Not quite fall off the bone which is how I like them. Maybe a little sauce to glaze the last 30 minutes or so. These are baby backs. I haven't had much luck with spares yet but aim to keep trying!!
    XL BGE
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Set it and forget it. Last 30 with either HEB Raspberry Chipotle or Blues Hog Honey Mustard. Yo @Fred19Flintstone, how do you make Wolverine cookies? Put the Wolverines in a bowl and beat them for 3 hours.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Not quite set and forget...but I've done 3-2-1 style with foil in the middle, 1-1.5-0.5 turbo with foil, carwash Mike's method, they all work.  It's partially a question of how much time there is for the cook.
  • ouch.  How was your bowl last year?
    Flint, Michigan
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Dry rub, set and forget.
  • GQuiz
    ouch.  How was your bowl last year?

I'm hoping Urban is going to run an above board program. We got a rivalry again. I like Coach Hoke. I get to dust off the Michigan jokes and you can proclaim OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE!

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Turbo ribs. 2.5 hours at 350. Family loves them.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• We can do more than say "OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE".

A guy walks into a bar and leans over to guy sitting there and says, "Do you want to hear a Buckeye joke?"

The guy looks at him and says "I'm 6' tall and weigh 200 lbs and I'm an Ohio State graduate.  The guy next to me is 6'2" and weighs 225 lbs and he's an Ohio State graduate.  The guy sitting next to him is 6'5" and weighs 250 lbs and he graduated from Ohio State too.  Now, do you really want to tell me that joke?"

"No.  Not if I have to explain it three times."

Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I Ronco ribs typically. Sometimes I CWM them.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Foil has a nickname, Texas Crutch, and this definitely will help get the ribs tender.  I'm a no foil guy because I think the texture of the bark is so much better.

My son who is in his first summer of Egging, thinks foiling is the greatest thing in the world. Shows how much he looks up to his dad
    :D
  • GQuiz
    Michigan babies are so ugly they tint the incubators.

• A Buckeye football player was almost killed in a near tragic horseback riding accident.  He fell from the horse and was almost trampled to death.  Luckily the manager of the Wal-Mart came out and unplugged the horse.  #:-S
    Flint, Michigan
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    I hate foil. Tried it a couple times and hated the texture. Set and forget around 250 fish. Do a basic dry rub but now leave our sugar. Coat with honey the last hour or so. Sauce last 20 min or so.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    I do mind 2-1-.5 but will try the no look method next.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • GQuiz
    Last one... Why is the Big House made of cardboard? The Wolverines are only good on paper.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    No foil here.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    1.5/1/.5...300...foil bathed in honey, head country on tthe last 30
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • No foil, no mist.  Smoke, rub, and time (and beer for me).

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Foil is for the weak
    Chester County, PA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013
    Duganboy said:
    Foil has a nickname, Texas Crutch, and this definitely will help get the ribs tender.  I'm a no foil guy because I think the texture of the bark is so much better.

My son who is in his first summer of Egging, thinks foiling is the greatest thing in the world. Shows how much he looks up to his dad
    :D
    @Duganboy... it shows that you raised him to be an independent thinker who is prepared to stand up for what he believes (I assume in a respectful manner).  :-bd
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I go 3-2-1 but never follow exact time.  St. Louis style over Baby Back.  Surprised how many people here do not use foil?  I have done both and think the foil liquids (below) adds lots of flavor.  

For the foil part, I include some kind of combination of apple juice / tiger sauce / honey or brown sugar / butter. 

GO BUCKS!    
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431

The Buckeyes offense should be fun to watch, they will be very hard to beat all year.  I agree about Hoke, just glad that Michigan is finally somewhat relevant again.  Let the normal Ohio State trash talk start, we are used to it!

What is the difference between a litter of puppies and Wolverine Fans?

The puppies stop whining after 6 weeks.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The first two times I made them, I foiled. Haven't done it in quite some time. Set and forget. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    4-1/2-1/2 ... compromise between dry and fall-off-the-bone.
    canuckland
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Set it and forget. No foil. Depends on mood, some sauce in the last 15-20 min of cook.

Everything from spare, st louis and baby back.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts