Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal opinion poll

Options
13»

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    B

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Bad - chunks that are that big have to be broken up or the grid doesn't lay flat - just extra work.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    B
    Fairview, Texas
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    Options
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    Vote for c) indifferent
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    B
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    mdozier said:

B. The more mid-sized and smaller pieces (discounting dust) gives more fuel per volume and thus longer burn times overall.

Is that true? The volume should be the same. The surface area changes.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    My point was larger oddly shaped pieces will have more air gaps in a given volume leaving a less densly packed lump and less fuel. If you fill in with the smaller pieces that certainly helps equalize.

Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ok, I think the pattern is evident.  Most of you don't like getting a piece of charcoal that is 25% of the bag, or don't care because you can bust it up.  Not too many actually like seeing this.  Thanks for all the input.  I'm basically trying to validate some of my assumptions regarding what makes a good bag of charcoal.  I'll have another question about one more thing that I thought I should check on in a bit.  Thanks again for all the input and letting me ask the question here.
    The Naked Whiz
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Options
    I love the huge pieces. Like someone else mentioned, they are perfect for low and slows. Put those huge pieces at the bottom, and build up from there with the smaller pieces, and you will have a perfect fire for low and slows for many many hours!!
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    C
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    B
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Bad. I don't want to have to break it up.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Common sense dictates the ideal bag is one of medium sized uniform pieces for good air flow and the dynamic ability to burn low and slow or hot.  The large lumps take forever to fully ignite.  If you take the argument to the extreme - a bag is one 20 pound lump, trying to get a quick hot fire is impossible. Taking it to the other extreme, a bag of dust, airflow is a problem. 

For low and slows, you can burn just about anything.  An egg full of dust or a single lump will fuel a low n slow.

Ergo, large lump (the 20 pound single lump) may be reduced to any size.  Maximum flexibility.  However, takes work.  So the correct answer, considering the ideal bag is between dust and a single lump, is B.  If you have an answer other than that, Please elaborate. ;)
    Options

Been gone while this thread was building - but have to chime in at the end.  I believe for Low and Slow - the selection of the charcoal is paramount.   When your cooking at 350 and up for an hour or two - most any charcoal will work.

I don't panic with a big piece of charcoal in a bag - back when I was a WGWW fan - would get some big pieces - just bust them up.

Given the alternative - I can bust a big piece apart - cant glue small pieces back together.

I don't want all large - or all small.   A slow cook with big pieces only is probably going to core at 3 in the morning.

I want a mixture, larger pieces with some medium size to fill in the gaps and give me bulk.   If you load only larger pieces, you will not have as much charcoal.   A good charcoal should give me a 20 hour cook if I set it up correctly.

just my thoughts ( though clouded still from the weekend in Napa)

Cookin in Texas
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    B.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Frankly, IMHO, OO has a good distribution of lump sizes and has a great flavor.
    Milton, GA.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I guess depends on what the rest looks like. Would prefer a big chunk but not overly large (5lbs is too large).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts