Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'in

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Sorta. Last week. Last night I racked it from the primary to the secondary fermenter. It'll sit there for about 2 weeks before I bottle it. Might be ready next week, but I forgot I was going out of town. Extra time should just make it better. Anyway, its my first batch and I was shooting for a Wheat beer similar to Blue Moon as that is one of Mrs. G's favorites. Took a little sip when I took my hydrometer reading and even though it was warm and flat (haven't carbonated it yet), still tasted pretty good. It's too early to tell, but so far it looks like its going to be around 5.24% ABV.

This has been kinda fun. Already thinking what I should brew next, thinking maybe a cerveza since we still have plenty of hot days to come down here in Texas. Definitely gonna try a Bock later for the fall, found a Texas Bock recipe that hopefully will come out like Shiner. This could be just as addicting as the Egg, me thinks. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I've been home brewing about 5 years. You should stop by for some BBQ and homebrew. On me! If you ever decide to start growing your own hops let me know. I can mail you some rhizomes to get you started. I currently grow Mt. Hood, Cascade, and Centennial. I already picked and dried some Centennial for a wet hop brew that I will dry hop when Cascade and more Centennial come in. Cheers!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Griffin
    Wow!! I' dlove to take you up on that offer. Where you located? How hard is it to grow hops?

Rowlett, Texas

• chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    Yes, brewing gets addictive very quickly.  I've pretty much turned one of the garages into a brewery.

Are you doing extract brews?  I got into extract brewing when I was living in College Station a few years ago but switched to all grain when I moved back to Dallas two summers ago.

• Beautiful Griffin! I am in inspired!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Griffin
    @chays99 this one was an extract. That's what the guys at Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson suggested I start with. The next few will probably be as well, but I'm reading up and trying to soak in as much information as I can so I can move on to more sophisticated methods like all grain. I've had a turkey fryer burner for years and I've got a turkey pot that I've never used that I might dedicate so I can do larger boils (full boils?) instead of a partial boil and dumping it in with water to make the batch. I guess I'd probably need to invest in a wort chiller for that, huh? Where you at in Dallas?

Rowlett, Texas

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Griffin said:
    Wow!! I' dlove to take you up on that offer. Where you located? How hard is it to grow hops?
    Hops have been grown with some success in all 50 states.  I'd suggest reading up on it a bit before diving in.  Hops are vines.  They grow 25-30 feet or so and can grown 1-2 feet per day when they get going.  

I bought my rhizomes off of fresh hops.  They have a lot of really good info on their site.

I have to cut my roots back next year so I can send you some if you want to try them out.  They grow like weeds so make sure you know what you are in for if you decide to grow some.  I've passed on my rhizomes to 2 others who have been very pleased with the results so far.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    Griffin - I'm in Rockwall. 

A wort chiller is a solid investment if you are doing full boils.  I used to chill in an ice bath in the sink.  Then I moved on to a wort chiller and use a pump to pump ice water through it since our tap water gets so warm.  Now, I've moved on to a plate chiller, but haven't actually used it yet.

I'd be more than happy to let you come over and get your feet wet with the all grain process. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the forums at www.homebrewtalk.com .  I don't have any brewing friends, so I learned everything I know from this site.

Congrats on the new hobby.  Just don't trick yourself into thinking that you will save money!
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Awesome! Hope it turns out good. Don't be shy to start brewing with grains. It's not to complicated and your results will be much better. Here are some pictures from my last beer. It's a IPA. Just used Cascade hops. I tried to get close to the Sweetwater IPA. Turned out a little darker but its good.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2013
    That looks like fun. Keep us up to date on the brews.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    edited July 2013

@chays99 we might have to do that someday. I live in Richardson, but work out in Sunnyvale. I've been lurking on homebrewtalk trying to learn what I can and I've alreayd figured out it probably won't save me any money.

@Drewdlc17 I will for sure. Just getting my feet wet before I dive in, ya know? Your beer looks good. Did you make that label?

Rowlett, Texas

• Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Your starting a good hobby. I do draw my own labels for all of my home brews.
  • Griffin
    That is one cool label, @Drewdlc17. You are very talented.

Rowlett, Texas

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    I tabled my homebrew hobby while the kids were teens.  Now that they're in college, I'm getting pressure to dust off the equipment.

My dad and I would routinely brew three 10 gallon batches at a time.  Time to teach the next generation, I guess.  Nothing like having four beers on tap.

• Griffin
    Impressive @VanDawg38!

Rowlett, Texas

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I enjoy home brewing as well. Haven't brewed any this year. Still drinking last years winter brew though. Here's my label.

Al's Genuine Homemade Hooch

Last name is Swann. Hence the swan's in the middle of the label.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .