Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tablets

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
Do any of you have a tablet reader? iPad, iPad mini, kindle, nook? Either way what do you like he best?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    iPad IMHO is the best, but forget about outside use. We love our old Kindle for beach/cruise reads and the iPad for couchin' out.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    IPad hands down.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Original kindle for reading (no question about it) iPad mini for everything else.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • robnybbq
    Great. I will need two then...

Garnerville, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    iPad here. Have a Kindle as well but never use it.
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    iPad. Had one since they came out. On it every day
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    I like the iPad mini but affraid to use it at the beach or on a cruise in the even of someone walking away with it plus direct sunlight(. I heard its hard to see the screen even when I am not drinking in the sun)

Garnerville, NY
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I'm in the Android Camp .. have a Nexus 7 and a Nook HD+
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    +1 for android nexus 10
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I use my IPad for everything. On time I use my PC anymore is to use Excel

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • iPad for browsing and reading using Nook and Kindle apps and we own a Nook reader as well.
    1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    We have two kindle readers and a kindle fire tablet. Love them all, great products!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Ipad here! My pc is like an old gasser........collects dust!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    iPad
    Cookin in Texas
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    I am a apple gone to android guy. Waiting for new nexus 11 to come out. Apple is a good product they just tick me off on a few things. Way more for ur moneY with non apple.
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Android here too.  Samsung Note 10.1
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Apple Newton, PADD, or GRiDpad. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Apple Newton, PADD, or GRiDpad. :)

No Palm Pilot?
  • I have an iPhone and have messed with iPads a ton of times. They are awesome. That said, I wanted to go econo and ended up buying the Nexus 7. I have a small business that utilizes Gmail and all the Google apps...it integrates perfectly. I'm pretty happy with it and considering I saved a few hundred bucks, all I can do is recommend it. If my whole family was appled up...(apple TV etc) and money wasn't an issue, I'd probably go all Apple...but I have zero bad to say about the Nexus 7.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I bought a Kindle Fire HD for my wife's Mother's Day present. It can do everything an Ipad can do with full widescreen and for half the price of the Ipad. If you want it for reading,get a basic kKindle. Everything else is poo-poo in the sunlight.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I have an iPad2 my wife has a kindle fire hd. We both like them, the both have quirks/limitations. It's totally a preference thing. For the money I would do kindles(yes 2for the price of 1 of te most current iPad). But I wouldn't give my iPad up for one ever!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I have both an I pad and an android tablet. IMHO, the I-pad is dumb. The latest offerings from Android are far superior. Those who have not tried an android tablet have no ideajust how far things have progressed since a stone age tablet with a pretty screen and a lot of koolaid. I have the i-pad just for flying, Android for daily duty.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    All apple for me, simplified integration. Use my iPad daily. Do have an old fashioned nook for beach reading, otherwise nook app on the pad.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    One more thing. Apple TV is amazing for $100
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    I have the Iphone, wife has the iphone, daughter has an ipad mini. 

I think I may wait and get a ipad mini or the Nexus when the new ones come out if they drop the prices. 

As for reading - I will just go to the store and buy a REAL book.  I do not read that much - just on vacations for the most part.

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I recently bought a Nexus 10 and love it. Tried to Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and just wasn't a fan of the carousel. I can stream HDMI Netflix Amazon Prime or anything else on any TV in the house.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935

I have experience on all the platforms (Android, Apple, and Windows) so I will chime in.

here is what I currently have:

Iphone 5 (me)

Iphone 4S (wife)

Nexus 7 (me)

Lenovo Helix (Work/Me).

Old Kindle 3G (no longer use)

Had a Kindle Fire (Key word had)

- My experience is that in regards to a table it really depends on what you want to do with it, and your personal preferences. Here are my observations below of the different systems (IOS vs Android vs Windows)

1. Apple products are great for people who want ease of use and a "plug and play" type interface. Not much customization at this point. Just install an app, use it, and go.

2. Android is great if you want to make it look, feel your own: customize your screens, change how the programs load, change which apps you see, etc. Android is great if you like the google platforms (Gmail, YouTube, etc).

3. Windows is great for doing work. You can't really do "work" on an Apple or an Android Tablet. My helix is what I work on all day long working with documents etc. Windows is way behind in terms of apps and ease of use.

If I had to do it all over again and choose a tablet for all purposes it would be the Nexus 7 version 2 they are releasing at the end of the month. Now adays it really is about the operating system, no matter what hardware you get you will be behind the times within 6 months.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    like the Apple mini iPad - large enough for all my uses and runs iPhone apps as well as iPad apps perfectly...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i have an outdoor life network, i seem to enjoy it more than sitting infront of a screen at work
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    iPad here. 2nd gen model. good for consuming content, not good for word documents, excel, etc.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA