Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when should food go on grill?

Options

how long is it after the fire is started should food go on the grill? I know that's a factor depending question but generally how long? 10mins, 30mins, 60mins? Round about? Is the time different for certain foods?

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

+1 with @boatbum-and to add to the "stable" temp-for overnight low&slows I generally wait until I have had no vent movements for around an hour before loading up the food.  I run w/o a controller thus the time frame. 

If you are in a hurry for a hot&fast cook-just light in several places and get a lot of lump burning-drives off the VOC's quicker leading to good smelling smoke and away you go.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    What @boatbun & @lousubcap said.  I always smell the smoke, that's the best indicator for me.  Color of smoke is good too (if it looks like the exhaust of a jet engine, it's usually good to go.)  I don't wait as long as most based on posts I've seen.  After my 8 minutes with the electric starter, I close the lid and wait about another 8 minutes.  Then I "assemble the egg" and smell.  Never seems to take more than 16-20 TOTAL minutes starting when the electric starter is plugged in.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

It sometimes is a one and sometimes a two.

Adult beverages that is.

Egg'n is a journey that is best understood and consumed at slow speed.........

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Not only allow VOC's to off gas, but also if a high temp cook, get up to temp before putting meat on. For low and slow, once the smoke cleans up and temp is at about 250 with plate setter, put food on and carefully watch the temp until stable if in a hurry. I always seem to forget to start the fire quite as soon as I should.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    In my opinion it seems to be depend on the brand of charcoal and the temperature you are cooking at.  Also it depends if you have a full load of fresh lump of just a little fresh lump added.  As more of an extreme I find a full load of fresh lump at 350  takes about 30 mins for my personal tastes.  At 250 a full load would take 40-45.  The less fresh lump you add the shorter the time.  If you are using only left over lump you can be good to go in 5-10 mins as soon as the smoke clears and you up your up to temp.  I have found Royal Oak and Maple Leaf burn cleaner quicker then some other brands.  Hope this helps