Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chunks vs Chips

Options
When I use chips and cook anything the smoke comes on strong than is done. How can I get the smoke to last longer? Are Chunks a good option for longer lasting smoke on my big green egg?
McKinney, TX

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    The smoke flavoring can simply come from the charcoal lump itself and may not be visible (ie white stuff pouring out the daisywheel).  Chips are fine for a quick cook where you are trying to just flavor the superficial layer (steak) and the white smoke will pour out.  Yes you will get longer lasting flavoring smoke with wood chunks and I routinely add Apple to pork cooks and Mesquite to brisket/beef cooks (careful with the mesquite, a very overpowering flavor).  But even with chunks the visible white smoke pouring out the top stops after the first 15 min or so.  Many on this forum won't put their meat on until this process stops.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I use a big chunk in the center of the fire for longer cooks.  I use a scattering of chips for shorter cooks.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Chunks are good for longer cooks or for meat that can handle more smoke (butt, ribs, brisket, etc). Chips for shorter cooks or where I don't want a lot of smoke (poultry). Also, on the mini it's only chips for space purposes.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Place chunks at different levels when filling the lump so you get more smoke as the lump burns down.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....