Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual probe thermometer suggestions?

Options
I'm looking for suggestions and thoughts on the many dual probe therms I've seen mentioned around here. I'm looking for something that can either give me both meat and grill temp (versus dome temp) or use both probes in meat. I'm not looking specifically for remote monitoring, but wouldn't turn it down if I decide its a reasonable cost.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dragonwmatches
    I have a Cyber Q WIFI and love it
    Monitors 3 meats and the grill temp at the same time
    Here is a chart of it doing 2 meats and the Egg.
    Note that the drop in temps is when I opened the dome
    This is from a cool little Andriod app called Pit Pal

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Thermoworks 8060 is a great unit - will last a very long time. No remote, but the pit and food temps are very accurate.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    I use the Maverick ET 732, it has worked great for me. It has a remote unit and 2 probes. You can find it on amazon for a little less than $60. If i were to have the extra $300 laying around I would pick up a Guru for sure, but I don't haha
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    I use the Maverick ET 732, it has worked great for me. It has a remote unit and 2 probes. You can find it on amazon for a little less than $60. If i were to have the extra $300 laying around I would pick up a Guru for sure, but I don't haha
    Ditto on the ET 732...I got it mostly for overnight butt cooks. However since I tried the "Turbo" method on my butts i don't use it except to check internal temp.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    mo egg said:
    That looks like one to me. Great deal.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I just bought and used the Maverick ET-32 and loved it. It was nice to just glance at the remove ever so often rather than walking outside all the time.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I have a digi q  and I just love it and Im sure if you getb one you will love it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options

I'll look into these. That Remington looks great because it's half as much (of course), and if it's made by the same company, well.......

To monitor the grill temp, where do you usually put it - the edge of your grate?  on the plate setter (if using)? 

Also, where do you run the probe lines - just through the opening/gasket, or under/through the daisy wheel? 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have the Maverick ET 732, but that Remington looks like the same. I put the grate probe on the edge protected by foil around the wires and running it between the bottom and dome. Just watch the placement because the wires are not meant for high temps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'll usually put the grid probe as close to what I'm cooking as possible.  The probe lines just thru the opening/gasket.  I'll only use mine with the placesetter in and make sure the probe wires are installed over one of the legs.  Do not subject the probe wires to direct heat.  Alot of people use foil on the probe wires to add another layer of protection.  I'm too lazy, but if I ever have to purchase replacement cables, I'd probably do it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Yeah, I did the foil thing after I burned a probe wire.  But like you said, I now watch that wire placement and make sure it's better protected.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered the Remington version - I'll let you know if it looks like a dud. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Dragonwmatches
    how do you get the graphs?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theronius
    theronius Posts: 9
    Options
    Just bought the ET 732 and it's sitting in the egg now, monitoring some pork loin!  Bought it based on reading some of the posts here, so thanks for the advice!  

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Look what just arrived, just in time for tonights butt!
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    FWIW-here's the back of the receiver showing Maverick as the manufacturer, with a slightly different model number-the Mav is ET732, this says ETREM732. The warranty information shows Maverick customer service contact info, and in replacement probes says "Remington (ET-732) 6ft food probe....." So for about $30, looks like the Remington is the same thing or really damn close.
  • aircooled
    aircooled Posts: 4
    Options
    Just used a new to me Igrill and it worked great!
    The graph on the app was cool and for the same price as the Mav ET732 it was a treat for the mac fanboy in me.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Using the Remington (re-branded Maverick) today for the first time. It has shown anywhere between 45 & 105 degree differences between the grid probe and the stock dome thermometer. I get that they're measuring different spots, but that seems like a big difference. The meat probe is very helpful to monitor progress, but is coming in at least 12 degrees under my Thermapen in the same spot. Is that unusual? I'm smoking a butt so I'm going with the bone test ultimately today, but that difference seems unusual to me. Or maybe the Remington's are cheaper because they are crappier versions made by Maverick?
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    @dougbacker, @Skiddymarker - I've seen a lot of posts saying the probes fail on the Maverick and that they cannot handle the high temps for turbo cooks. Do the probes on the Cyber Q or Thermoworks devices handle the high temps?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • dougbacker
    Options
    NJ_BBQ When using a temp controller you are NOT going to be using real high temps. The highest I have had my Cyber Q is 450° and had no problems. So if your looking to do like turbo butts at 350° you will be fine. Just make sure you run ur cables over the plate setter leg

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• dougbacker
    Options
    Dragonwmatches
    how do you get the graphs?
    As I said in my post it is from a cool little "Andriod app called Pit Pal"

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @NJ_BBQ - depends on what you need. The 8060 is bullet proof, mine was over $150, but if I read the specs right the pit probe is good to 1000ºC, like over 2000ºF... very hot. No wireless ability. 
    I have a Maverick I use much more. Protect the probes and cables, foil, run over a setter leg and do not use for direct cooks, works good, lasts a long time. 
    Use the dome thermo for anything over 400ºF and all is good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    Using the Remington (re-branded Maverick) today for the first time. It has shown anywhere between 45 & 105 degree differences between the grid probe and the stock dome thermometer. I get that they're measuring different spots, but that seems like a big  difference. The meat probe is very helpful to monitor progress, but is coming in at least 12 degrees under my Thermapen in the same spot. Is that unusual? I'm smoking a buttso I'm going with the bone test ultimately today, but that difference seems unusual to me. Or maybe the Remington's are cheaper because they are crappier versions made by Maverick?

Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    I am TOTALLY NEW here, I am getting my BGE Saturday.  What is "the bone test"? sorry if this is a dumb quetion...
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Using the Remington (re-branded Maverick) today for the first time. It has shown anywhere between 45 & 105 degree differences between the grid probe and the stock dome thermometer. I get that they're measuring different spots, but that seems like a big difference. The meat probe is very helpful to monitor progress, but is coming in at least 12 degrees under my Thermapen in the same spot. Is that unusual? I'm smoking a butt so I'm going with the bone test ultimately today, but that difference seems unusual to me. Or maybe the Remington's are cheaper because they are crappier versions made by Maverick?
    I don't think they are "crappier" versions. In my experience, this is what my normal white Maverick does. I just think it's one of those "you get what you pay for" things.