Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen sale

Options

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Too bad, already bought one.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Thank you just ordered one. I have been using the BGE one.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    Well I have been using the excuse "waiting on them to go on sale," now there on sale so I dont have another excuse. I just ordered it, but it was still tough to spend $80 on a thermometer haha.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I know how you feel, but it will pay for itself in the long run.  Just keep that in mind

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @awm - i felt the same way. I just ordered mine today. what color did you get? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Options
    I got the tan one what about you?
  • GATABITES
    Options
    I got the Grey. I wanted the British racing green but they sold out as I was contemplating yesterday. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    When you get it, you will come to the conclusion that it was the best $80 you have spent. Aside from buying your egg. I am pretty tight when it comes to money, but I think this was a VERY wise investment.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

The British Racing Green sold out quickest because they are the fastest.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Too bad mine is still working so well, I want a new orange colored one, I heard it's the fastest... ;)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GATABITES
    Options
    UPDATE: I called and told my brother that I got a good deal on the thermapen and he says, " I saw the sale price in the email that you sent me. I LOL'ed because I have already bought you the back lit version." 

What...... Surprises are AWESOME - especially when its egg related. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

Good job Firemanz, I just ordered the purple. No green no orange.

Great grand daughter loves purple.

Snellville,Ga.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Question about this: Is the Thermapen that much better than the ThermoWorks pocket digital thermometers?  I know the RT600B reads the temp in 6 seconds and is waterproof.  What more are you getting from the Thermapen that warrants the extra 70 dollars?
    Southern California
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have the RT600B and left it out in one of our monster Florida storms and now the display is not working properly.  Bummer, but I can get by with it.  I'll have to take a look at the warranty
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Options
    Orange is definitely the fastest one.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    purple is the fastest----
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I have the RT600B and left it out in one of our monster Florida storms and now the display is not working properly.  Bummer, but I can get by with it.  I'll have to take a look at the warranty
    Prior to that mishap did you have any issues with it or see any need to spend 5 times the price on the Thermapen?  Only asking because I just ordered the RT600B, but am sort of considering getting the Thermapen now seeing this sale.  Is it necessary?
    Southern California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    thetrim said:
    Prior to that mishap did you have any issues with it or see any need to spend 5 times the price on the Thermapen?  Only asking because I just ordered the RT600B, but am sort of considering getting the Thermapen now seeing this sale.  Is it necessary?
    Everyone raves about the Thermapen, and I have one and they're awesome, but what's important is measuring the internal temp of your food and learning how much it will rise when you take it away from the heat (a function of the shape and how hot you're cooking) - essentially learning how to cook things on a grill.  An instant read thermometer is an integral part of cooking to temp.  The nice thing about it being fast is you can jab it all over your food and "map" out the temps...see how stuff is cooking and move it to hotter or cooler parts of the grill so things cook evenly.

Any instant read will work.  Might be a few seconds slower, but as long as it's accurate, it'll work.

That said, the Thermapen is of "prosumer" quality.  Thermometers get abused and the Thermapen will take a lickin'. 
    Options
    The 600b is sufficient IMHO
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Austin_Aggie
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered one. Been eyeing them for a long time.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Okay, I just caved and spent the 74 clams...  They only had pink, white, and tan left...  Pink it is!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Okay, I just caved and spent the 74 clams...  They only had pink, white, and tan left...  Pink it is!
    Pink is very fast.
    Are you saying some colors are faster than others?
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    I like my steaks pink in the middle. :)

in Smyrna GA.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Everyone likes the pink parts ;)
    Options
    Tan was all they had on the open box sale. $77 will be put to use tonight.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    IMHO Purple is the fastest
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I am a firm believer that Frog green is the best!
  • TamaleTim
    Options
    C'mon, obviously the racing green is fastest- and it matches the egg!
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Sorry guys, sale is over. I must have gotten the last one!!

in Smyrna GA.