Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Maxed Out

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine that asked me to cook for 90 people at his house. Need some insight from my fellow eggers before giving him a yes or no.

I have an XL. I imagine that 40 lbs of meat would feed 90 folks (some are kids). So - is it possible to fit 2 briskets and 2 pork butts in the XL all at once?

If you've done this before, a picture would be helpful and also the kind of grate extender you have.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I don't own one, but I'm sure the nice people here that do will be able to help...

I'd imaging its probably like stuffing bodies in a trunk, as long as it closes ;)

Seriously though, both the beef and pork will shrink as the cook goes along. I think the XL should handle this cook with little issue
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    2 packer briskets and two butts are no problem on an XL with a 2 grid set up. Here's a cook I did using the BGE 2 tier set up:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And after the meat shrunk some:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I believe it was about 28 lbs of brisket & 16 lbs of pork.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    You'd be darn close if you had an adjustable rig, but if not no way. I've done four butts that were about 35 #s total w/ AR, but it was jam packed. One other option would be to cook the pork earlier, vacuum seal it, then bring it back to temp later. 

I think it's a blast cooking for big groups like this, so I'd be tempted to say go for it, but I know for a lot of people it's an expensive and stressful proposition.

Cheers-

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

You don't have to do all at once either........do the two packers the day before.  Pull them off at 165, wrap them up in foil and refrigerate.

Start your pork butts whenever you need to......do four of them, they're cheap!

Then, 4-6 hrs before you're serving, throw those briskets in the oven and finish them to 190F.....doesn't matter what they're in when they're wrapped--as long as it's indirect.

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Admit it, you got the XL for situations like this (just like me), so go for it!  Low and slow cooks are forgiving, so everyone will no doubt be in awe of your food.
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    Unfortunately don't have any pictures, but I've done two packer briskets weighing about 16 lbs each and 4 bone in pork butts weighing a total 28 lbs. I use the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack. I put the briskets on the lower grid and then added the 4 butts to the top rack .
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

You can definitely fit this. R2 posted a great pic you just have to get creative. You have to have multi tier cooking grid though. What equipment do you have? Someone will be able to assist with the setup if you post your gear. Good luck.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2013
    Chubbs said:

You can definitely fit this. R2 posted a great pic you just have to get creative. You have to have multi tier cooking grid though. What equipment do you have? Someone will be able to assist with the setup if you post your gear. Good luck.

I agree. I all depends on the gear. If you have a extender of some sort you should be fine. I can't wait until I cook for a big gathering. We just bought our house, so I am waiting until we have more to accommodate guest. But when we do. its going to be hell on my XL..... LOL 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just did 50 lbs of butt on my xl with adj rig with no problem. Could have done 30 more lbs with careful placement of meat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Did 40-50 pounds of pork for a graduation party.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• phoenix007
    phoenix007 Posts: 49
    You've all inspired me. I'm all in!
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    I cooked 45-50 pounds of butt, six of them, on my large for my son's graduation party.  Before and after (if I can figure out how to attach a picture).  XL with a couple grids should be a piece of cake.  Even with one grid, you should be able to cram all that goodness in there.
  • YEMTrey
    One thing of note.  When cooking that much shoulder, be sure to account for the fat/grease drippings.  If not, you'll have one hell of a fire going by the end of the cook.  Don't ask me how I know this.
    Steve 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2013
    If it were me I would just go all butts since they are more forgiving.  You should have no problem getting six butts weighing around 8 lbs each in the XL.  If you want to mix it up with briskeys and butts then go for it; but I think it would be a little less stressful if it was all butts.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You'd be darn close if you had an adjustable rig, but if not no way. I've done four butts that were about 35 #s total w/ AR, but it was jam packed. One other option would be to cook the pork earlier, vacuum seal it, then bring it back to temp later. 

I think it's a blast cooking for big groups like this, so I'd be tempted to say go for it, but I know for a lot of people it's an expensive and stressful proposition.

Cheers-

B_B
    I've seen 6 butts on a large with an AR, so I'd say 2 butts and 2 briskets on an XL ought to be a breeze.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    VanDawg38 said:
    I cooked 45-50 pounds of butt, six of them, on my large for my son's graduation party.  Before and after (if I can figure out how to attach a picture).  XL with a couple grids should be a piece of cake.  Even with one grid, you should be able to cram all that goodness in there.
    What is your setup here? This is what I was looking for on a previous thread. Looks like you have an AR and do not have the grid extender--- same here. What do you have as an indirect piece and drip pan?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Chubbs said:
    VanDawg38 said:
    What is your setup here? This is what I was looking for on a previous thread. Looks like you have an AR and do not have the grid extender--- same here. What do you have as an indirect piece and drip pan?
    I'm guessing it must be a spider with a stone because the first level is pretty far below the felt line.  Just guessin tho. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Naked Whiz
    Here's a photo of Celtic Wolf doing 6 butts on a large Egg for the troops.  As I remember it, he had 3 larges cooking 18 butts, and 3 larges cooking 6 whole packer briskets.  Lots of meat.....

The Naked Whiz
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    When I said mine was full at 35#, it was because they were all on top of the AR. When you guys go multiple levels do you move things around to get even temp? If so, how often?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • YEMTrey
    I just watch and monitor them and move if necessary.  They all cook differently, so you never know until you get going.

But, yes, I will move them between levels and around on the grid.
    Steve 

• The Naked Whiz
    In this particular cook, no.  The butts never moved.
    The Naked Whiz
  • VanDawg38
    Can I post yet?
  • VanDawg38
    Guess I had a post waiting to be "approved".  I've got the spider with 13 inch stone. Grid extender doesn't leave enough room under the dome for three butts.

I have the extender with sliding grid and love it.

I didn't move my butts around either,