Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

accidentally left egg running between cooks for 26+ hrs and . . .

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Accidentally left egg running between cooks on Sunday and Monday (over 26 hours) and it was still holding temp!  I  I did a big porterhouse steak on Sunday and did stuffed chicken breasts on Monday.  I went to get the egg started on Monday night, reached down to grab my cast iron and realized it was still hot, looked at therm and was sitting at about 160F. It started to rain very hard on Sunday and I was doing a reverse sear, so I got distracted after the second 90 second sear and only put the Green Porcelain Cap on and left the bottom vent completely open.  I am kind of surprised it held that temp with such limited air flow, but just reminded me that I am stupid and this EGG is awesome.  End of Story.  

Here are few quick pics of my cooks:

Porterhouse - reverse sear (indirect @ 250F until meat internal temp reached 115F - rested meat - then sear both sides for 90 sec at 650F)

Stuffed Chicken Breast (brine for 2 hrs, washed off, smashed flat to 3/4" thick, rubbed both sides with DP Swamp Venom, stuffed with different combos of things in fridge ((bluecheese/smoked gouda/green onion/onion/garlic/cream-cheese/jalapeno/roasted-red-peppers)) then grill raised direct @350F until internal temp over 165F)

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fantastic cooks. There is nothing better than finding out how stupid we all are in a positive and not almost-lethal way. For the opposite of that, there is YouTube.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Nice cooks.  What kind of charcoal was burning?

Cookin in Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I didnt mention it for a reason, but it was a red bag of kamado joe.  Left me with a decent amount of ash (as expected for 26+ hr burn) but still had glowing coals and a few fist size coals that I kept in the egg.  My local ACE does not have Wicked Good anymore and I am not a fan of the Cowboy lump, so desperate times calls for desperate measures . . . right? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I don't see the big deal in buying kamado Joe lump, I almost did, but couldn't get service to read about it first. personally, if bge wants me to buy their lump they need the quality and price to be relative to each other.

I realize you are saying that in jest, but that's the way it is. take note BGE the price for your lump is absurd.
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Love it! That's awesome. I think I need to stuff some chicken real soon!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    NDG said:
    I didnt mention it for a reason, but it was a red bag of kamado joe.  Left me with a decent amount of ash (as expected for 26+ hr burn) but still had glowing coals and a few fist size coals that I kept in the egg.  My local ACE does not have Wicked Good anymore and I am not a fan of the Cowboy lump, so desperate times calls for desperate measures . . . right? 

Hey - if my cook turned out looking as good as yours did - it wouldn't matter if I cooked it with twigs I picked up out of the yard.

Thanks for sharing the Charcoal - I have never tried that.   I love a long burning charcoal.

Cookin in Texas
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Those Chicken Breasts look crazy good!!! Well done and extra points for creativity!
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    I have gone thru one of those red bags and really liked it.  Was a little hard to light but well worth it.
    MBGE in Charleston

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Options
    what a great idea with the chicken breasts, I'll have to try it, I think my family will like it!
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    I read Kamado Joe lump was made by Wicked good.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    SandBilly said:
    I read Kamado Joe lump was made by Wicked good.
    No.  Wicked Good is a charcoal distributor, not a manufacturer, FWIW.

The Naked Whiz
  • SandBilly
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I'll defend your right to buy any lump you choose. I actually had to purchase a bag of Primo lump in a pinch once and absolutely loved it. The bag was $30 for 20 lbs. so I haven't been back.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I'll defend your right to buy any lump you choose. I actually had to purchase a bag of Primo lump in a pinch once and absolutely loved it. The bag was $30 for 20 lbs. so I haven't been back.

Egads... Primo thinks even more highly their rebranded stuff than BGE does of RO.
  • SandBilly
    Options
    Primo's is 28.00 a 20 lb bag here too, probably the best lump I've used but only buy it when in a bind..