Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stand/support for BGE at a competition cook?

I am entering my first BBQ competition and bringing my XL green egg with me.  I bought it without a nest and put it right into a table I built.  Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on how to setup/support my XL BGE at the competition.  I'd rather not buy a nest as they are expensive.  I'd also rather not have it right on the ground for ergonomic and air flow reasons.

Comments

• Where are you located?
  • A-Baum
    A-Baum Posts: 29
    Downingtown, PA.  West philly suburbs.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Nest and Nest Handler are going to be your cheapest options, IMO. Good Luck.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• A-Baum
    Was thinking more of a rudimentary/temporary support.  Maybe some lumber and a couple sand bags to stabilize?  I really didn't want to spend much money on this, seeing as I don't plan on competing a lot.
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    How are you transporting the XL to the comp? If your table has wheels, can you just load it on a ramp onto a trailer?
  • A-Baum
    Don't have a truck or trailer.  Using a suburban and tying the egg down in back with some outdoor furniture cushions.  Don't have room to bring the table.
  • JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    bring a few thick pavers

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Stack cinder blocks and make temporary top with 2#4s, put a paver stone on top of wood and egg on top of that. That way you can make the height what you want it to be. Probably cheapest temporary solution. But safest is still the nest. If I was competing I would put pneumatic tires on a nest and roll it with a nest handler. Then fold up tables for prep area. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I saw one of these, Gorilla 2-in-1 Utility Cart, at the first Eggfest at Athens loaded with a XL. Strapped in the cart. Fire box and ring he carried inside the vehicle. He had a small trailer with drop down ramp. And best blooming onions ever, so much butter.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • A-Baum
    Cinder blocks might be the way to go.  I hope to hell the ground is level where we will be cooking.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Get a good chiropractor ;)

Go ahead and do the first competition without a nest, the $200 will seem cheap in hindsight.  Wheels are your friend when it comes to dealing with a heavy mass.  You're going to like the competition side of cooking.  Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I have XL nest that I am not using. I will let it go for cheap. I live in Baltimore though. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Here is a picture of the XL in the cart. Carts can be found for about 75-100.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    You may want to get a potlifter, check Amazon.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    Where/when will you be competing?

I use six cinder blocks arranged on end, two blocks by three blocks, then topped with four one foot square pavers. It makes a rock solid two by two foot platform that is about 17 inches high.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Hotch said:
    Here is a picture of the XL in the cart. Carts can be found for about 75-100.

Definitely the way to go.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What are you cooking?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited July 2013

Go ahead and do the first competition without a nest, the $200 will seem cheap in hindsight.  Wheels are your friend when it comes to dealing with a heavy mass.  You're going to like the competition side of cooking.  Good luck.

Listen to Smitty as he has some experience with carting around eggs to comps.

Extra large nest for $75 and it's in your neck of the woods.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/3905466847.html

Curious....Where/when is your first comp?

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I've been hauling my 2 large and 1xl in the back of my truck for a few years and wouldn't think of not using the nests. There are a few folks out at some of the comps that are over courious.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I doubt you'll come up with a solution better and safer than a nest.  I competed my first time this Spring and spent more on meat to practice than the cost of a nest for an XL.  I won the competition but the prize money didn't come close to what I had in meat and cookers.  It's purely a pride thing when you compete unless you're a full time pro with sponsors.  Look to spend a lot, and win a little.  Kinda like rodeo....done that too.

I'm hooked and will keep on doing it as I can afford it, but I'm no Myron Mixon with sponsors so I'll have to pick and choose what I can do.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Evilsports
    Evilsports Posts: 37
    A-Baum said:
    Downingtown, PA.  West philly suburbs.
    Chillin'' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, shootin' some b-ball outside of the school? 
    :D
  • A-Baum
    Only until a couple of guys, up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I got in one little fight and my mom got scared.