Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to get lump in MN

Options

OK Minnesota Eggers, where are you getting your lump and what brands are you using?  We've only had our egg for about a month and a half now and the only brand that we can find is RO or BGE which of course is RO.  The BGE brand did have larger pieces than the RO that we've bought so it seemed to burn way slower.  The RO we've bought at both Menards and Walmart have been quite small piece and as a result, after about 9-10 hours at 250°, we are having to reload.  I don't want to have to pay for that BGE name just to get bigger lump so I'm hoping someone will have other options for us.

Thanks!

Jen

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    if you have an ace hardware close by you you can order to the store any brand they carry, including wicked good. that's what I do.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I picked up 30 bags of RO from Menards last month. I've used 10 bags and most bags had good sized pieces. Wondering if your bags took a beating during the shipping/ stocking process? Try a few more bags and see if they are better.
    I just went to an eggfest and the BGE lump was the same size of my RO.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    Options
    I would say that all the pieces have been smaller than my fist and I have pretty small hands.  Most pieces were no larger than a normal charcoal briquette.  :(

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• bigguy136
    Options
    I just tore open a bag. This is typically what I see.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• JenGang
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I just tore open a bag. This is typically what I see.
    Clearly ours was abused at some point in time because it's nothing like that!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    I just picked up some more RO at Menards Burnsville top of the pallet very happy with it.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I always buy at Elk River Menards. I might pick around a bag or two but most bags look great.
    Enjoy egging as it will be snowing in another month or two.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• JenGang
    Options
    Hey now!  No discussing the "S" word when  it's the 7th of July.  

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• servicceguy
    Options
    here in Cedar Falls Ia, I have picked up RO from Menards and had mixed emotions about the sizing.  However, I just completed a 20 hour total cook with sizes that were smaller than par.  I loaded my XL up real good and maintained a 250 dome temp the whole time.  Yes, the egg is about out, but it can be done.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    I have had good luck with lump from both Menards and Walmart

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI