Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGW Small Two-Tier

I hope everyone has had a great Fourth of July and the eggs are cooking up delicious meals for friends and family!

My birthday is the 2nd of July and being that the new Ceramic Grill Works Two-tier Swing Rack is out for the small egg. We did a big cookout for my birthday and was happy to see the swing rack when it came time for presents! 

I was slammed with work on monday, but on my birthday I took my small over to a friends and had the inaugural cook! This this is really nice, heavy duty and works perfectly! Adding a second level to the little egg is so nice. 

So I decided to break it in with some sliders and corn on the cob with some Pineapple Head (which is amazing if you haven't tried it)

Then I had a tri-tip and threw some shredded cheese on the sliders.

The crust I was getting with the carbon steel grates was great on the tri-tip. It might have been my best one yet! 

Everything turned out really good and it was a fun birthday. With the addition of the CGW two-tier my small egg will be getting even more use at home as well as my traveling buddy! 

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend everyone! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• It all looks good.  Happy (belated) birthday.  PS.  We've really enjoyed the rubs you sent.  SWMBO has forbidden me from opening the BBQ sauces until we use up a few of the many open and half used bottles in the fridge.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Happy belated B-Day! Nice looking grate & cooks.

Can you use the swing grate on your Woo?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    @solson005 Could you tell me if the two -tier set up works with the small plate setter in place?? Nice birthday score!!! Food looks Great!!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited July 2013
    Thank you @SWVABeanCounter I'm glad you like them. You can usually find 2 of the 3 Head Country bottles in our fridge at any given time. 

@R2Egg2Q Thank you it has been a fun week! I could use it if I cut off the handles, I think I might custom order a slightly shorter woo sometime without handles. But for steaks and burgers cooking right by the fire is fine for now. 

@sancho65 I know it was designed to work with the small platesetter but I do not have one, so I can't show you a picture of it. You might have to get the adjustible kit which has a floating collar to set it up any height you choose. Thank you! 

I will do a bigger post showing how great it is. I just snapped some pics on my birthday cook and wanted to share. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    I just love how much more room the Swing Rack gives the small egg. I just made some simple chicken breasts last night and could move the chicken around the hot spots, when before I just had to deal with it. My new eggcessory might just be my favorite! 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Congrats man. That is awesome. I guess a small is next!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Looks great! Just got my egg carten in last Wed....now time for a swing rack.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Chubbs still portable but can hold more than the mini especially with the swing rack!

• Solson005
    @Randy1 its a well made eggcessory, I highly recommend it!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looking forward to you putting the small swing rack through a good workout!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I think this post just sold me on the swing rack for my small...

Does anyone know how much room is left when you install the plate setter? Or better yet, have pics with it?  :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• jtippers said:

I think this post just sold me on the swing rack for my small...

Does anyone know how much room is left when you install the plate setter? Or better yet, have pics with it?  :)

I'm at work now, but I can snap a photo tonight unless somebody else posts one first.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    @jtippers I don't have a platesetter but it does work with it. The top tier is adjustable so depending on the size of meat on the bottom rack you have a good amount of room for the top. I did relocate the thermometer to the outside of the egg with a wine cork, but it isn't necessary.

I think it is a great eggcessory for the smaller eggs since space is the only downfall. I highly recommend it.
  • As promised @jtippers , here are pictures of my small 2 tier swing rack.  Here it is resting on the fire ring. 

Here it is sitting on the plate setter. 

The standard shaft is bottomed out on the plate setter. 

The top rack is too high to close the dome by the width of a wrench.  The dome thermo was removed first. 

Looking through the top vent.  Remember the dome doesn't close.  No purpose for the last two pictures, just liked them. 

To use the 2 Tier Swing Rack on the small with the plate setter, you need the shaft kit.  Otherwise the dome doesn't close.  I haven't played with this toy very much yet, so I was surprised to learn this.  I'm ordering the shaft kit tonight.  I hope this was helpful. 

Flint, Michigan
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Awesome Fred... Thanks for the photos! So, I just need to order the shaft kit with it and I am good. Thanks for the info!!! This forum is great!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July