Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 lb brisket cook time?

Ok, I have a 14 lb brisket,, thoughts on cook time at 250-270 deg?  I am thinking 1 1/2 hrs per lb.  that would 21 hours????  Does that seem right?  a friend of mine said plan for 2 hrs per lb, that puts me at 28 hrs!!!  thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Do it at 270 and plan on an hour per lb.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I found a previous post where Travis talks about bumping the heat up to 300 dome to get cook time down to 1 hr per lb approx.  I read where guys cut the point off to get cook time down as well.  I thought about this, but I still want to cook the point and get my burnt ends.  I plan on starting the cook tommorow afternoon as we are planning on a 6 P.M. feed Sat. night.  I would prefer to have to wrap and cooler the wonderous hunk of meat then have people waiting.  what to do what to do

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can  put it on late tonight or get up really early.  If you're good at temp control, you can control the cook time via temperature.  Lower temperatures are a little harder to stabilize and a little riskier for overnighters. 
  • i was planning on putting it on the egg at 6 pm tommorow night, then I should be assured its done by time everyone wants to eat.  I just dont want to be done at noon on Sat and have to have it rest for 6 hours.  A 1-2 hour rest in my opinion is best, so if I start at 6 Fri. night and it goes for 21 hours or so, 2 hours of rest puts me in the perfect time.  I just want to make sure I can get it done in that time.  Last one I did this size seemed like it was done in 13-14 hours, but it was windy and I had a hard time staying below 290.
  • nolaegghead
    That's a 24 hour start time?  Doable, but you need to cook it really low like 225 dome.
  • I live in the country and wind is not my friend for holding lower that 270-290,,,,if I keep it just inside the garage door, I can keep it around 250 with the digi-Q, but thats about as low as I can get, otherwise it wants to smother out.

• nolaegghead
    Oh, you have a digiQ.  Adjust the damper door on the stoker fan throat so it's 1/8 open.  Let the fan do the work.  It'll be almost impervious to wind.  Also, make sure the DFMT is almost closed.   I've actually run it closed before.  You want most of your air to be forced in by the fan so there's less bias from wind.
    I put a 15 pounder on at a rock solid 250 dome yesterday at 5pm. It was at 196 at 3:20 AM when I checked it... I had trimmed about a pound and a half of fat off it so figure it was still 13.5. It was USDA Choice and was the fattiest brisket I've seen - not sure how or why, but that sucker flew.
  • i have had that happen as well Spaightlabs on a previous brisket that I did last year.  not sure what the heck happened, mine turned out ok, but timing was horrible.

• thanks nolaegghead and travis.  I enjoy reading your guys posts and appreciate your sharing of knowledge.  I will choke the fan throat down and keep the DFMT is almost closed.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    i was planning on putting it on the egg at 6 pm tommorow night, then I should be assured its done by time everyone wants to eat.  I just dont want to be done at noon on Sat and have to have it rest for 6 hours.  A 1-2 hour rest in my opinion is best, so if I start at 6 Fri. night and it goes for 21 hours or so, 2 hours of rest puts me in the perfect time.  I just want to make sure I can get it done in that time.  Last one I did this size seemed like it was done in 13-14 hours, but it was windy and I had a hard time staying below 290.
    If there's one thing I've learned, both from experience and reading all the brisket posts I've read on this forum, it's that there is no such thing as planning a brisket cook and perfect timing. In fact, I think most of the time I've seen briskets cook in much less time than the expected 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound so, that's what I'd anticipate in your case. If I were you I'd put it on closer to midnight. You can always bump the temp up in the morning if you think you're going too slow and even wrap it to speed things up if necessary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I put the brisket on at 10 last night with a dome reading of 250 and a grate temp of 216-223.  Internal temp shot up to 135 within a couple of hours and then has been creeeping ever since midnight.  As of 6:30 this morning internal temp on the flat is 167 deg and sloowwwwwly creeping up.  I have another 12 hrs to spend getting the internal to 190.  shouldnt be an issue. 

Any crazy things you folks have done to the point for burnt ends? 

Nolaegghead, thanks for the tip of shutting the top vent wayyy down, I was afraid i would snuff out the coals.  At approx 4 am our ambient temp dropped 20 deg or so and that really made the egg internal temp do a whoopty wooo, but it came out of it and so far so good.  When the temp did this, I did open the fan restriction as it was running a lot.  I bumped vent on fan housing to 1/4 -3/8 inch and tightened the DFMT to a 1/16 inch of opening at best.  So far, so good.

• nolaegghead
    Cool.  I haven't used my DigiQ in months but I used to run about 1/4 open on the stoker fan.

• just an update,,, the flat was done in 14 hrs with a dome temp of 250 and a grate temp of 216-220  (trimmed weight was 12.5 lbs).  That was about 6 hours before eating time.  I FTC'd the flat and we ate 5 1/2 hours later.  The meat was still warm, but it had dried some in the thinner portion of the flat.  I took the point at the time of flat removal and instead of putting the point back on to cook longer, I cubed it, added copius amounts of delicious rub, some Three Little Pigs bbq sauce, a little apple juice, and put back on for the remaining time until we ate (5 1/2 hrs).  Everything was awesome.  I was a little dissatisfied with my smoke ring (sorry no pic), but the meat had great flavor and the burnt ends where fantastic..  Thanks for the tips guys!