Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe Lump Charcoal

shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As you all can see I have gotten into the charcoal lately. Now that summer is here I am starting to go through it quickly. I have only gotten the Kingsford Lump so far as I can get it at the Lowes up the street. I have a bag of Ohno to try for tonight. I did get given a bag of the Kamado Joe Charcoal and liked it a lot. Just wondering how it compares to others as I really have nothing to compare it to other than the Kignsford. What are your opinions?? I did not see a review or anything on the Naked Whiz Website. Sorry for writing a book and I love reading the forums and love that every topic seems to get answered!

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Look at Naked Whiz's extensive database here.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    For some reason (maybe it is too new?) Kamado Joe Lump is not reviewed on the Naked Whiz's web site.  Maybe it is and I missed it.  I came to the forum today with the same question Shubydoobydo asked 2 years ago.  We got a discount on Kamado Joe lump a few weeks ago and have been through 2 bags.  The guy who sold it to us told us it had bigger pieces than BGE lump.  I have not found that to be the case.  There is a surprising amount of dust in the bad and actually very few big pieces.  We smoked a brisket and I had to dump out an entire bag to pick out big pieces- seemed like the majority of the pieces were less than 2 inches.  I just opened a bag of Royal Oak from Walmart and it was MOSTLY big pieces.  This bag is labeled "Made in USA" which Naked Whiz says makes the difference with Royal Oak.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • I could be wrong, but I think Kamado Joe changed their lump supplier several months ago.  Now their lump comes from the same supplier as Wicked Good I believe.  So it should be good stuff.  I wonder if you got a bag of the old stuff or the new stuff.  Not sure how you would tell.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    KJ charcoal does not come from the same lump supplier as Wicked Good Charcoal unless that supplier is lying to WGC.
    The Naked Whiz
  •  

I could be wrong, but I think Kamado Joe changed their lump supplier several months ago.  Now their lump comes from the same supplier as Wicked Good I believe.  So it should be good stuff.  I wonder if you got a bag of the old stuff or the new stuff.  Not sure how you would tell.

I was told by a supplier in Jacksonville that Kamado Joe and Wicked Good was the same lump. 
    St. Mary's, GA
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    I frequent the Kamado Joe Facebook page quite often, and there are people on that page that says it is from the same supplier as Wicked good. I have seen pics of the Wicked Good and the new Kamado Joe lump, and it appears to look and be the exact same.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Does that supplier carry both? Or do they just carry Kamado Joe? 
    If it's the latter I would be suspect. "Hey we don't have that, but the same people make this....."
    Or maybe, I'm just cynical
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    I frequent the Kamado Joe Facebook page quite often, and there are people on that page that says it is from the same supplier as Wicked good. I have seen pics of the Wicked Good and the new Kamado Joe lump, and it appears to look and be the exact same.

They look identical to me as well
  • The Naked Whiz
    According to WGC, their supplier does not supply charcoal to anyone else but them.
    The Naked Whiz
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    I trust the Whiz's sources on this so I am not doubting him on that. I know he posts on the KJ facebook page, so I thought maybe he had seen some others talking about that on there as well. I thought it had to do with the relationship that Kamado Joe has with Ace hardware, and the supplier of the charcoal for both WG and KJ. But I am just going off of memory, and don't know if that is accurate or not
  • The Naked Whiz
    I don't know what KJ is saying, but I do know what I was told by WGC. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Does that supplier carry both? Or do they just carry Kamado Joe? 
    If it's the latter I would be suspect. "Hey we don't have that, but the same people make this....."
    Or maybe, I'm just cynical

The supplier carries both Kamado Joe and Wicked Good.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I have used Kamado Joe lump and was very happy with it. The overall piece size was good and NO spark or crackle when lighting. Good smoke amount and long burn with low ash! I was impressed.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Why are people so against a little spark or crackle?

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    I to was told by a KJ rep that it came from the same source. He even told me a story of the KJ owner going down and securing the deal with the producers. He went on to say that they buy direct from the producer and WG buys from a distributor, but both are from the same producer according to the rep. I do not stock KJ in our store, but we do sell WG, BGE, GrillMark (royal oak) and Cowboy (for those I have yet to convert).
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Why are people so against a little spark or crackle?

Because some of us like our arm hair and skin to be the same after BBQing as before.

George

George
  • Bump

I just bought a bag of KJ charcoal from Ace.  Seems like it burns hot and ashes as little or less than WGC. It is still not on Naked Whiz.