Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Nest...worth it??

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a mini within the next coupla days. I can get the mini only for $380 and the mini w/ nest for $415. I have a table for my large with extra space on top to place the mini. I'm thinking a stone with spacers would suffice for that instead of getting the nest. And I'm also wanting to transport my egg around for camping/tailgating purposes. I like the look of the carten. I may go with one of those in the future. I am thinking the nest may not be for me. Suggestions??

Comments

• IMO, The nest and the carten are an either/or thing.  Either you get a nest and forget a carten or go for the carten and forget about the nest.  The only variation, and I fall into this category, is buying a nest and later on buying a carten.  I bought my mini second hand and the nest came with it.  I'm really interested in a carten though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I want a carten for my small like really bad. I've emailed the guy twice and haven't gotten a response. :((

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have both the CARTen and the nest.  Mini in the nest on the glass table and the CARTen when traveling.  Nest also goes with us when traveling....Have found a few old wooden picnic tables I would not trust to just the egg in the CARTen.  Nest a lot lighter than firebricks.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    shtgunal3 said:
    I want a carten for my small like really bad. I've emailed the guy twice and haven't gotten a response. :((
    patience, the guy is moving i do believe.  

also, I just set my mini on top of my table on a couple of pavers, I usually only use it for short quick cooks so I haven't had any scorching problems.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have both the CARTen and the nest.  Mini in the nest on the glass table and the CARTen when traveling.  Nest also goes with us when traveling....Have found a few old wooden picnic tables I would not trust to just the egg in the CARTen.  Nest a lot lighter than firebricks.

Joan with using the feet do you see any problem in the Carten and wood?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Like my nest
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I skipped the nest and got the carten, but can see that the nest may be useful too. I'm working on a mobile table setup which the carten will sit in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:

I skipped the nest and got the carten, but can see that the nest may be useful too. I'm working on a mobile table setup which the carten will sit in.

It better be remote controlled.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It better be remote controlled.
    Who do ya think I am? nola? It will have wheels though :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Mine will. I'm going to johnny 5 that bad boy when I get it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I could put one in the cat wheelchair I made for my neighbor's cat, and I suspect the cat dangling apparatus was never successfully implemented. (I'm not kidding, I made this for their crippled cat Doby)  I do have a picture but I'm too lazy to find it. Trust me.

I could put one in the cat wheelchair I made for my neighbor's cat, and I suspect the cat dangling apparatus was never successfully implemented. (I'm not kidding, I made this for their crippled cat Doby)  I do have a picture but I'm too lazy to find it. Trust me.

Is it similar to that dog one that was in the news a few years ago?
  • nolaegghead
    It's kind of pathetic. 3/4" ID PVC pipe, some castors I cast in with epoxy and bondo.  But a solid design,   I looked at video of them in action and pictures and read up. Probably $30 in PVC...and that's a lot because that stuff is dirt cheap.
    I bet if you painted flames on it the cat would gain 10 horsepower.
  • nolaegghead
    Ah, you're using Thermapen logic.

Ah, you're using Thermapen logic.

Mainly ricer logic.

• nolaegghead
    If it didn't have wings, it would fly off the road into outer space.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    They see me rollin'... they hatin'...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Tryin to catch me ridin dirty
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Dyal I love my nest. Got a wait on the carten. He isn't making them for a while. The new nest is great IMO. You could build some type handle or it and have best of both worlds.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Thx everyone for your suggestions. I think I might go ahead and get the nest then. May try to fabricate my own egg crate thingy since the guy building them is tied up. I like little projects like that anyways. :)
  • TAPROOT
    TAPROOT Posts: 22
    Table the mini my friend.
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Was fun talking to you last night even if I wasn't helpful. Blame it on the bourbon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Overturned ceramic planter.image
    Mamaroneck
  • Chubbs

Overturned ceramic planter.image

Could work. Wonder if the new nests will work.

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Chubbs said:
    Overturned ceramic planter.
    Could work. Wonder if the new nests will work.
    Honestly, I don't think I need to keep the nest on - it's pretty stable without it
    Mamaroneck
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I didn't want the nest, found a metal cart on-line at Costco which works great here at home.  I did get a Carten for traveling, primarily when we go to our little hideaway on the Oregon Coast.  In the Carten, on four ceramic feet, sitting on a sheet of silicone padding, like @Mickey does, it will go on a wooden table with no problems whatever.

Love the Carten!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon