Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Brisket

alynd
alynd Posts: 130
The local Costco had prime brisket on sale today, so I picked up one for the 4th.  Do you think that prime will cook any different than choice, due to the assumed higher concentration of marbling?  I'm thinking it might take a little longer to reach my desired internal temp, but I'm not really sure.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If anything, it'll cook faster.  Fat takes less energy to heat up than water.  That's why the point cooks faster than the flat.

I only cook prime.  I maintain that it does make a difference.   Friend of mine in another state bought a case of the Wagu ( however you spell it) - he maintains that it is better than prime.

Cookin in Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I'm having trouble finding whole packer brisket. Even Costco is just carrying the flat, all trimmed. :(

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Raymont, did you tap on the window and speak to one of the butchers? My Costco only has flats in the display case but, when I ask, they'll bring a whole packer out from the back.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @texan - I asked, but was only able to get an untrimmed flat from the butcher behind the window, he did not have packer cut with the point attached. Maybe just an off week..

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Interesting about the point. Curious. Why do we out the point back on the egg to cook longer

If anything, it'll cook faster.  Fat takes less energy to heat up than water.  That's why the point cooks faster than the flat.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Interesting about the point. Curious. Why do we out the point back on the egg to cook longer
    burnt ends?  Traditionally they're chunks of bark, but people make more bark by chopping and throwing brisket back on the grill.   Renders the fat and dries out the meat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/what-are-burnt-ends-brisket-barbecue.html
    @Raymont, did you tap on the window and speak to one of the butchers? My Costco only has flats in the display case but, when I ask, they'll bring a whole packer out from the back.
    That's Newmarket Costco? Any decent sized ones?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Yep. Sorry though, I don't remember exactly what the size was. I didn't actually buy just asked the guy if they had them for future reference. I was pretty happy with the grass-fed brisket I got a couple of weeks ago from a local guy who is just north of Mt. Albert (off of Main St.) and will probably get another one from him to make sure that the quality is consistent. The one I got a couple of weeks ago was a 12-13 lber. I probably won't be back over at Costco again until the 13th (we typically only go once a month) but, I can check prices and size then and let you know.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Thanks but don't worry about it. I need some other stuff anyway. I was in the one in Brampton the other day and they didn't have any. They do have goat though. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

We cook prime briskets quite a bit, we use the same cook methods and timing as a regular select/choice version.  

We've always had a the flat cook faster than a point.

The point can handle extra cooking as it does contain more fat content.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    For you guys who have done prime briskets, do you notice a flavor difference over the other grades?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    alynd said:
    For you guys who have done prime briskets, do you notice a flavor difference over the other grades?
    Yes, great flavor.   I would practice on cheaper cuts until you get the hang of cooking that type of meat. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Yes better flavor, seems more tender.
    Cookin in Texas
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I do practice with CAB prime briskets. They have good flavor and the cook timeis slightly faster than choice. When I cook for family or cater, I use the CAB. But for competition only cook Wagu. Great flavor faster cook times and the best scores in competition. But Wagu is to much money for the everyday cooks.