Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for holding ribs before serving?

cbegg
cbegg Posts: 8
First post, what an awesome resource this place is!! Cooking 8-10 racks of baby backs for about 20 people. I have had great success using a dry rub, cook for 4.5 hours, no foil, no looking - let them go method. Finished product has been an incredible bark with pull off the bone tenderness....Definitely want to avoid the fall off the bone mush. Would like to have everything done an hour or so before folks arrive so I can be sure to see everyone and enjoy the party. Planning to cut them into two-bone servings on a buffet style set up. Any advice on warming/holding/serving for such a large group? Thanks!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good question. Also welcome to our little part of the world. Mine get eaten as soon as off the grill. Never held them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    The only way I know would be FTC, foil to cooler packed with towels.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I have had no issues FTC (wrapped in foil, then towel, placed in a cooler) with ribs for that amount of time. Gonna need a big cooler in your case. If you have something, I'd place a wad of towels on the bottom and another wad on top.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • cbegg
    Will do guys, thanks for the help, much appreciated!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    cbegg said:

Will do guys, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Glad to help and welcome. Like big green bama said, plenty of towels below and above your ribs. You want the chest completely insulated.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I have had no issues FTC (wrapped in foil, then towel, placed in a cooler) with ribs for that amount of time. Gonna need a big cooler in your case. If you have something, I'd place a wad of towels on the bottom and another wad on top.
    I second this....seems to work well for me.  And as someone else says, use HD foil and double wrap to minimize possible tears due to bones.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have had no issues FTC (wrapped in foil, then towel, placed in a cooler) with ribs for that amount of time. Gonna need a big cooler in your case. If you have something, I'd place a wad of towels on the bottom and another wad on top.
    I second this....seems to work well for me.  And as someone else says, use HD foil and double wrap to minimize possible tears due to bones.
    I have kept them like this for up to 5 hours and still hot to the touch.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Another option would be to get a Maitre D'Hotel pan from Costco. They charge about $40 in Canada so I would think they would be cheaper in the US. They are a deep rectangular stainless pan that sits on top of a water pan with Sterno cans underneath. They have a tight fitting lid that I would sit on top canted a bit to the side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm with steven on the serving. Either cut into singles or slightly larger... Will stay warm and looks better than serving out of a cooler. Guess it depends on who you're serving.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I noticed that Black and Decker and Phillips have some electric "buffet" pans but I don't think they would have the capacity.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cbegg
    Planning on serving them in chafing dishes over sternos as Steven suggests, the FTC method should be perfect until time to cut.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sam's Club has a pack of three
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN