Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New owner First Cook, Paella

I have been making Paella on a Weber kettle for several years.  Recently became the proud owner of an XLBGE thanks to a great wife and a milestone birthday.  I have 2 Paella pans.  A 14" (serves 6) and an 18" (serves 10-12).  The XL is the only one that holds an 18" pan, so there was no question.  My recipe is adapted from one I found in a Weber cookbook, so I have never cooked it on anything but charcoal.  I have kind of figured out the ratio of broth to rice to protein, so it is easy to scale up the recipe for more or less people.

At any rate, i wanted to break in the egg with some friends, and Paella is always a festive event on my patio.  Invited 3 other couples including the owner of the local BGE dealer who set me up. 

Began by starting the fire in my chimney, but having not read up enough, it was a bit too small for the duration of the cook, and I did have to add some charcoal, but otherwise a complete success.  I always add some smoking wood (apple) as I believe it adds authenticity to the Paella.  For protein, this one had Chorizo (which I smoke myself) a bit of chicken, shrimp, and mussels.  We set the pan in the middle of our round table with 2 serving spoons and everybody digs in.  Delish.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Looks great!! Welcome aboard!!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I want paella!  That looks great.

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Pretty strong first cook. Nicely done.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Very nice!  The inside of your egg looks so clean!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome to the lifestyle! Your paella looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more of your future cooks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Quick question. Where do you get your paella pans? Thanks.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Here are some sources:

www.paellapans.com
    www.latienda.com
    www.spanishtable.com
    www.hotpaella.com
    The Naked Whiz
  • Way to jump right in.  Looks fantastic.  I'd bet there were no leftovers.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I ordered mine on-line. Can't remember the site but, here is one. You can probably find them at a local kitchen/cooking supply retailer as well.

The important thing is to get the proper size for your egg. They'll have some sort of handles that are not included in the size (i.e., dimension of the pan).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nice job, enjoy that clean Egg it won't be for long. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Don't hesitate loading that puppy up with charcoal next time. 
    XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Welcome aboard-eggcellent cook right out-of-the gate! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Got both pans at Amazon. They have every size. I am prime so free 2-day shipping. Asso did my second cook last week. Smoked a pork loin 8 hrs at 225. I think I got the fire thins down now.
    Rochester, NY
  • SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    What about the maximum size of a paella pan that can be used on a LBGE?
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I bought a 46cm one for the LBGE .. too big. I think i need to get the 38cm one. BTW these were available at TJMax.

pan1.JPG 125.7K
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Too big? Does that mean a paella pan with handles is supposed to fit inside the egg allowing for it the be closer to the head source?
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Yes .. with the above setup, I cannot close the lid completely and also I cannot use the Woo2 that I have to raise the cooking surface. Plus there is no airflow, so that might hinder cooking too. However I have seen someone on YouTube cooking just like this, but he mentioned that his gasket was ruined after the cook.

I had also bought the 42cm one and the handles interfere with closing the dome. That is why I think the 38cm one is perfect. It is equivalent to 15 inches.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    fljoemon said:
    Yes .. with the above setup, I cannot close the lid completely and also I cannot use the Woo2 that I have to raise the cooking surface. Plus there is no airflow, so that might hinder cooking too. However I have seen someone on YouTube cooking just like this, but he mentioned that his gasket was ruined after the cook.

I had also bought the 42cm one and the handles interfere with closing the dome. That is why I think the 38cm one is perfect. It is equivalent to 15 inches.
    The pans that I bought were 13.5 and 14".  Depending on the shape of the handles, you may or may not get certain size pans to fit.  I want to close the lid while the rice is cooking, so obviously the handle to handle measurement has to be about 18.5" or so.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking first cook!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Great looking cook!

I have a side question for @the naked whiz or other people who have seen some paella pan ABUSE over the years.  I got mine from Sur La Table as a gift, but it got put through the dish washer before my first use!  The rust was like nothing I have ever seen before (and I have cleaned out old Lodge skillets many times) and I scrubbed/oiled/heated it numerous times.  The sink was completely brown at one point when I was using salt as abrasive to scrub.  Anyway, much of the textured corrosion is gone now, but still has obvious oxide on surface and still has slight "iron smell" even after heat/oil combination.  Did I ruin this thing or am I overreacting?  Thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Cookinbob
    Work your pan over really well with steel wool. Rinse well with HOT water, towel dry immediately and coat with veg oil. For the future, never air dry it, and always coat with oil.
    Rochester, NY
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Ok, so these things can survive the worst rusting similar to a C.I. skillet?  I am new to paella and didnt know if these pans are unique in anyway.  The thought of all that fresh seafood tasting like "metal" almost made me toss it and buy another.  Your suggestion is the same as what I previously did but I will give it another clean and wish for the best . . thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Naked Whiz
    And never put a carbon steel pan in the dishwasher, I'd say.  I've never done it.  I clean the pan with water and soap, dry it, oil it and put it away.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    LOOKS awesome
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Are you using anything to raise the pan up? When I was looking through the Naked Whiz instructions it suggested getting the pan higher up. 

I've cooked it ok without moving the pan just curious. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    fljoemon said:
    I bought a 46cm one for the LBGE .. too big. I think i need to get the 38cm one. BTW these were available at TJMax.

I have used a 24" on an xlrg and it also did not fit, but cooked very well with the handles sticking out.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1174114&catid=1

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I find that the paella cook takes just the right amount of lump in the Egg.  Enough to last the whole cook but not too much as the lid being open can get too much heat.   We start a fire with about half the firebox full, get to a steady 350 degrees with the dome closed,  then open the lid and shut the bottom vent to keep everything under control heatwise while you are working the paella.   You may give this method a try.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Cookinbob
    I did this as a direct cook without raising the pan - it is the same way I did on my Weber before the Egg.  I did however build a small fire, actually had to add some lump to finish the cook.  I can see where a larger fire would be a problem and maybe require a raised grate.  For this cook, the dome temp was about 350 and the broth was simmering nicely
    Rochester, NY