Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's cook

JJ
JJ Posts: 951
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on a 6 lb boston butt and a 10 lb brsiket on the Large EGGs at 9:00 P.M. last night with the thermometers holding steady at 250*. At 7:00 A.M. today the boston butt in the Rand McNally EGG still hold 250* dome and the internal temp at 167*. The brisket which is in the Space capsule EGG was holding steady at 100* with the internal temp at 57*. Relit the EGG and now (at 1:00 P.M. CDT) the brisket is reading 190*. I just removed the boston butt wrapped it in foil and it is now resting in a cooler waiting for 4:00 P.M. to satisfy a bunch of hungry people. Hope that this 4th of Julyfinds you all healthy and enjoying what we have in the fine COUNTRY (USA)
JJ & Kathy

Comments

• TJinBham
    TJinBham Posts: 24
    JJ,
    Hi guys.. just took off a rack of ribs, chicken and veggies be done in about half hour. All's well with us, hope the same for yall. Good to hear from you.
    Terry & Sharon

• TJinBham
    TJinBham Posts: 24
    tj,
    Sorry bout that.. I home brewed(blew) the typing. hehehe

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    JJ,[p]A 7.5 lb skinned turkey breast is smoking (250F indirect) in the large, to be followed by Bambi's bananas. The small is baking potatos and vadalia onions, to be followed by strip steaks.[p]Life is good in the USA.[p]Spin

• JJ,[p]Waiting for company in a couple of hours. Drinking a cold St. Pauli Girl to pass the time. Getting ready to put on two butterflied birds for tonight to go along with home-made slaw, home-made oven baked beans, potato salad, and a fresh home-made peach pie. I haven't eaten much yet today, trying to get ready for that feast. [p]Yet I'm already thinking about the pulled pork you guys tempted me into. Will do that next week.[p]Happy Birthday America! Isn't Independence greeeaaaat?[p]Cheers from a Happy Newbie to all of you wonderful folks that make America work.[p]Anthony

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    JJ & Kathy,[p]I'm keeping it simple tonight: smoke-roasted beef, baked potatoes, and a romaine/mushroom/vidalia salad. Our July 4th party (brisket and all the fixin's) is on July 6th this year.[p]Love to you both -[p]Cathy
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    JJ & Kathy,[p]I am cooking a venison round steak. It was in a package that looked like a wrapped 2x4. I was expecting (even though I should know better) a piece of meat like a big uncut filet. [p]What I got was two pieces of meat with a round bone in the center surround by a fair amount of gristle. I trimmed all that up and am cooing it on the Big Green, indirectly with some hickory chunks, soy based marinade at 220. [p]I'll get the poulder out because I have no idea how long it will take.
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    JJ, Trying Old Dave's pastrami recipie. Cured them for three
    days and they are about three hours from being cut up and wrapped in swiss and rye with mustard. I've got a whole pig going also. What a waste it looks like it's going to be. $100.00 for a lot of bone, skin, fat, head, and feet.
    I guess people just do it for show. Next time I'll get $100.00 worth of butts and end up with twice as much meat.
    Happy 4th.
    db[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]Sounds TERRIFIC! Is anyone NOT cooking today? I had a younger brother and his girlfriend over for a cookout. We were hanging out with some of my apartment neighbors. The menu was a bunch of very simple foods. Sausages rubbed with Olive Oil, Kosher salt, and black pepper cooked at 300 for about 40 minutes over mesquite. Nice small smoke ring and very juicy. These were served on large rolls with some green, red, and yellow peppers plus some chopped onions which I grilled in a foil "loaf pan" at around 300 with salt, pepper, and olive oil plus a smidgeon of garlic. Topped the sandwhiches off with some homemade Q sauce (again, the simple Memphis Magic sauce from Smoke and Spice).[p]The next course were some taters which I sliced thin, skin on, and rubbed with olive oil, salt, black pepper (sound familiar), and BGE seasoning. Wrapped these in foil ala JCA's technique in the recipe section and topped generously with parmesean cheese. Cooked these between 350 and 375 for a while (I'd had a few beers by then...just cooked them til they were done...).[p]The show stopper were some pork chops with salt, pepper, and rosemary. My small was ready to rock today as the thermometer went from 375 to around 900 in about 12 minutes after I took the taters off to cook the chops at 2-2-and 4 minute dwell.[p]The food was fantastic and the company was even better![p]Happy 4th to everyone and remember the reason we are able to celebrate like we do today![p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Cornfed,[p]Oops. Forgot to add that I threw in one of those store bought Ceasar salads which come with lettuce, croutons, parm cheesem, and dressing. This was the one non-homemade element of the meal...besides the store bought beer![p]Gotta say, I'm a bachelor so I'm usually not big on sides, but this 3 types of pepper plus onion mix was fabulous! The taters were awesome, too! These will all find their way to the Meadowlands this year.[p]Cornfed
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    JJ,
    The youngest and his girlfriend are coming over. We're doing some Bamboo Shrimp on the small for an appetizer. Then on to some salmon fillets in a bourbon marinade I picked up here a few days ago. Plus some steamed sesame broccoli and twice baked potatoes. I don't think we'll have room for the cheesecake I have tucked away. I may have to make some Gold Cadillacs though.
    JimW

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    JimW,
    And to all a very happy Fourth of July. What more do you need than family, friends and good Egg stuff?
    JimW