Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook

Put butt on too early way too much smoke taste live and learn.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2013
    It happens. Before you try a new cook I suggest asking Forum first or spend a few hours playing with vents to learn temps and how long it takes to burn clean, etc. Welcome and it will get better.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    bdad said:
    Put butt on too early way too much smoke taste live and learn.

I did the same thing when I cooked on mine the first time. Put hamburgers on too early and had the coals too hot. burgers was almost burnt and tasted like crap.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Fawtunately butt is cheap. You don't wanna mess up a prime ribeye that way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Friend got a new Egg and I walked him through his first pulled pork, step by step.  He called and said how bad it was, burned to a crisp at least 2/3 way through. (Top part was delicious)  I forgot to tell him the difference between direct and indirect cooks.  Leave out one step and it turns into disaster. 
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Well ------------  he had a lot of bark, thats for sure!!! :((
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Getting barbecue done the way YOU want it can only be achieved through a process of elimination and trial/error.  Congratulations on your first cook. 

I typically aim to have my butts done early and purposely hold them wrapped in foil in a cooler (FTC - Foil Towel Cooler) for at least 2 hours and they are fine for at least 4 hours.  That rest brings them down to about 150 degrees even and they are always super moist.  That few hours of fudge factor means I am always on time even if the butt goes long or finishes early.
  • bdad
    bdad Posts: 3
    Never burned but way to much smoke taste from charcoal not wood and never got to 190 even after 14 hrs @ 275 but was done.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Understand that every butt is different - some can sail right thru the "stall period" and other may take two hours , and sad to say some can sit in the "stall" for four hours.  Pulling at 190 degrees is not my method -- even if i had to raise the cooking temperature to 450 degrees, i am not going to remove the butt, because i don't think it will pull correctly.  I think(?) something is not correct in your temperatures -- either "cooking" or "internal"???  And 14 hours at 275 (if this is correct?) isn't too long of a cook....
  • If it had too much charcoal taste I would think it's possible you put it on too early. That early "bad smoke" when you are still getting the charcoal fired up will give a nasty taste. Did you wait a good bit until temp was stabilized and smoke was cleaner?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Duh. I just re-read this and that is exactly what you said. Guess I should grab another beer.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Sorry to hear that.  You'll get it next time.  Thanks for posting because we all learn thru successes and failures.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014