Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What LBGE gear to start with?

I have been reading a ton here, but cannot figure out what is better, the two tiered swivel system or the adjustable tiered system.
I want to move beyond the single meat phase and go to cooking multiple meats / food options.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Adjustable rig
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Chubbs said:
    Adjustable rig

+1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Chubbs said:

Adjustable rig

Silly question - is it easy to access different layers?
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I've looked at both the setups and looked at videos of both and found that the 2 tier system much easier to access. BTW this is strictly my opinion and others will differ on it. I got the 2 tier Cast Iron one from Ceramic Grill Works.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • fljoemon said:

I've looked at both the setups and looked at videos of both and found that the 2 tier system much easier to access. BTW this is strictly my opinion and others will differ on it. I got the 2 tier Cast Iron one from Ceramic Grill Works.

Thanks fljoeman. I was looking at the adjustable rig and trying to figure out how one accesses the lower grill - still researching both options.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    fljoemon said:
    I don't think the swing rack is cast, but it cooks like it is.   Cast iron can crack, so that's a good thing.
    You will end up with both.  
    MBGE in Charleston

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Grid extender... Cheaper and you'll see if you like it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Or just get the grid extender. Same function as the swing rack and much much less. 
  • I have a grid extender and it is annoying. I have to move top level food to access bottom level.
    If the adjustable rig is like that, I am leaning towards the swing.
    The only challenge is figuring out it's durability.
    Thanks for all the input everyone.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    not sure if this will make it through the delta firewall, but thermapen is a must IMHO.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    not the BGE extender. The groupbuy one. It works just like the swing rack. You use your own grids.
  • not the BGE extender. The groupbuy one. It works just like the swing rack. You use your own grids.

Oh - do you have a link I can use to look @ it?
  • tulocay said:

not sure if this will make it through the delta firewall, but thermapen is a must IMHO.

For sure - it's on my shopping list for when next I am in the States.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

not the BGE extender. The groupbuy one. It works just like the swing rack. You use your own grids.

This is mine when I first got it and put the two racks together. You can turn the top rack with tongs to get at the food on the lower one.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:

This is mine when I first got it and put the two racks together. You can turn the top rack with tongs to get at the food on the lower one.

Looks great - can you also swing it outside of the Egg?
  • Acn
    Yeah, it'll swing completely around on that black post.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:
    Who is the manufacturer? Do they have a website I can view and order?
  • Acn

Acn said:

Who is the manufacturer? Do they have a website I can view and order?

We did a group buy, wait for @eggcelsior to chime back in, he may be able to get you a group buy price, and will definitely be able to point you to the manufacturer.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YankeeQ
    YankeeQ Posts: 12
    Today I made my own swing top 2 tier rack using a Weber 13" grill, a 10" long 1/2" thread rod, with nuts & flat cut washers from Home Depot. It cost me less than $25 total and it works great!
    I'll post pics later today
    Westchester, NY
    LBGE + Guru controller

BBQ & Horsepower = My Life!
    IR-Designs.com
    Facebook/IRDesigns
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

tulocay said:

C.A. Paradis in Ottawa are selling thermapens (and other thermoworks products)

Trini, you can still order. PM me for details.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Hit YouTube for ceramic gill store videos.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I have a grid extender and it is annoying. I have to move top level food to access bottom level. If the adjustable rig is like that, I am leaning towards the swing. The only challenge is figuring out it's durability. Thanks for all the input everyone.

I have the adjustable rig, spider, stone setup from ceramicgrillstore.com.  As to durability, all stainless steel--so very durable.  As to having to move food on top level to get to lower level, that is interesting question.  In years of egging, never really had that problem now that I think about it.  Whenever using multiple levels on AR, I guess I am doing low and slow--40 lbs of butts, etc, so have not really had to access food during cooking--try not to even open lid for 20 hours or so.  I guess if I did have to get to second level, I would just lift off top grate totally and set it on two foil covered bricks I keep handy for setting down hot stones, racks, etc. In short, very pleased with adjustable rig and versatility.
  • Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually.
    SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree
  • Chubbs said:

Chubbs said:

Been looking at those also Chubbs :)
  • paqman said:

tulocay said:

C.A. Paradis in Ottawa are selling thermapens (and other thermoworks products)
    Its a little out of my way, but will check it out sometime.
  • Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually. SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree

Got it--so you need to post some pics and those Carribbean recipes for us to try.  I do note that with AR if you get the rib setup, I think the opening on front of rig lets you slide lower rack out easily to turn and baste without removing top grid. 

• Will do!
    We usually do a Jerk/bbq chicken blend that pretty much goes with anything as our staple go to easy dish, but mix it up with goat, duck, lamb or beef, depending on our mood :)
  • YankeeQ
    YankeeQ Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually. SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree
    Good to see another Trini smoking away on his Egg.. Do you steam your seasoned chicken before tossing it on the egg over direct heat? I know a lot of Trini's prefer that style of BBQ.
    Tomorrow I'm heading to Grainger to pick up a thrust bearing, so the homemade swing top grate will be able to move freely. Pics will be posted soon

Westchester, NY
    LBGE + Guru controller

BBQ & Horsepower = My Life!
    IR-Designs.com
    Facebook/IRDesigns