Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis-Style Dry Ribs (pix)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

I couldn't pass up the good deal on spare ribs at Publix on Saturday.  I got this rack of St. Louis Style Spare Ribs for an even $7.00.  I was debating on what to do with them, and decided to cook them a little differently than usual.  I grilled these raised direct at around a 325 deg f dome temp for just over an hour.  I spritzed them every once in awhile in a beer and vinegar mixture to keep them moist.  And I did not add any wood for smoke.  I wanted them like Charles Vergo's Rendezvous Restaurant in Memphis, TN.  I picked up a bottle of their rub while I was there last year and have used it several times now.  It's good stuff. 

They were finished with a mop sauce of Water, White Vinegar and Rendezvous Seasoning.  The flavor of these ribs are really, really good.

Served up with a simple pasta dish with Penne, Asparagus, Lemon and Parmesan Cheese.

Just had the leftovers today for lunch.  If y'all are ever in the Memphis area, definitely give the Rendezvous restaurant a visit. 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks like Dyal is back in full swing! Nice job.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Nice looking ribs @Dyal_SC, I've only done direct ribs once and I always forget that it is a completely viable option when done right.  Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great Dyal I like trying new things.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome and if it tastes anything like rendezvous count me in, I love that place! =P~

I did spares this weekend too, but I gave salt and pepper a try and they turned out really good.

Do you cook the asparagus any for the salad? I like it grilled so much I haven't tried it any other way. I might as well expand my veggie dishes.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice looking meal and i like the side pasta dish --  i am going to try this entire meal!  Thanks for posting.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Dyal_SC-great cook! But beware @Mickey will now challenge you to "who can turbo ribs the quickest".  I have toyed with trying a turbo run but then the adult supervisory limited time-frame steers me right :)>-  When time constrained I will have to give it a go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Heeeessss basccckkk
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Nice set of bones!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Great looking ribs.  I had a big jar of that seasoning back when I first started smoking.  I haven't done Memphis style in more than a year, I need to re-visit that.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I only cook dry ribs - sauce is for dipping!  Great post - now a bookmark
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mouth watering ribs. I have not cooked them that way before. Was it a 50/50 beer to vinegar spritz? Ilike how it showed up in the second picture.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I know rendezvous doesn't pull the membrane... Did you?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks Great, never thought of doing ribs direct.  I was just in Memphis for a few nights and got to Rendezvous and Central BBQ.  I really liked both, but Central was my favorite.  That city knows BBQ.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Dyal_SC
    Thanks, ladies and gents!  @Solson005, I threw the asparagus into the pot of boiling noodles during the last 4 minutes of the penne cooking up to al dente.  I sliced the asparagus into 1 inch pieces beforehand.  @Griffin, I didn't really measure the ratio...but it was probably somewhere around 50/50.  :)  @henapple, I alllllways pull the membrane!  :)  More flavor and more tender that way IMHO. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like how the first bone in the 2 nd pic is trying to wiggle free and escape. Nice looking ribs!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Dyal_SC... Turboed some spares yesterday and didn't pull the membrane. The higher heat may have been the difference but the silver skin was almost nonexistent.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited June 2013
    I use to do mine direct for an hour on the weber kettle.  They came out tasty but not as tender as a low and slow.  I also had to trim away more of the fat compared to low and slow to keep them lean.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Those ribs look 100x better than the ribs I had at rendezvous. Nice work
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I first visited the Rondevous in Memphis in 1970 and I was not that impressed.  The ribs were OK, but nothing to leave home for.  Any Egger with little experience can make ribs that will blow any restaurant ribs out of the water.  I only use my own rubs and we serve them with several types of bbq sauce for dipping.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Dyal_SC

Thanks guys! 

@henapple, I've left the membrane on numerous times with good results.  But I'm personally partial to removing it.  When I'm adding wood for smoke, I can get a better smoke ring (granted which is purely for visual appeal).  I feel like I get a better bark and rub penetration as well though.  I haven't done a side by side comparison though...  :) Hmm... I may hafta do that this weekend for scientifical purposes.  ;)

@Ragtop99, yeah, these definitely have more tug than a low and slow cook.  But I like variety and enjoy switching it up every now and then.  :) 

@SamFerrise, you're right, any one of us on this forum can get better results at home.  But if you're out and about on business or leisure, it's a neat place to visit IMHO.  The atmosphere and history was pretty cool.  :)  I also really enjoy the way the rub and vinegar balance each other out. 

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Winner Winner - Rib Dinner.   That's a fantastic looking rack of ribs, Dyal_SC.