Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping temp below 300 problems

I am having problem keeping the temp below 300. I had no problems for a long time (the first year I owned my Egg) then I replaced my gasket and the egg always wants to stay around 285 or higher. It passes the dollar bill test and the vents are nearly closed (pics below). The only thing I can think is that I need to clear out the silicon around the draft door and re-caulk since it seems to be degrading and cracking and maybe that is letting air in. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help in advance!

imageimage

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    How much lump are you lighting and how long are you letting it preheat for?
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Full load of lump. I have ribs on. Let it creep up to about 265 and stabilized it. Put on the meat and once the meat came to temp the Egg crept to 300. Has been happening since I changed the gasket. It's odd since the first 100 low and slows I had no issues and now that I changed the gasket it is giving me some trouble.
  • Brownie
    I'm stumped. I would try lighting at fewer places? and shut it down sooner? seems weird because it seems as though you have a winning combo aside from the temp creep.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Have you confirmed your thermometer readings? Also when vents are closed off that much are you seeing smoke come out anywhere it isn't supposed to?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Brownie
    how long has the temp been creeping? maybe it just needs time to ramp down. How long did you let it stabilize?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    But does it creep back down, after the meat reaches temperature?  Mine does the same thing, stabilized at 225, load the meat in, drops to 210, then as the meat gets hot it starts creeping up as high as 275 (which isn't hurting the cook) . but then VERY slowly returns to 225 -- like three hours later.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Seems to me even with a badly sealed lower vent, you should be able to hold lower temps using the DFMT, close it some more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    On low and slows I only light in one spot in the middle. I usually let it stabilize for 45 or so minutes. No smoke coming from anywhere it shouldn't be. I am stumped also. However, I just pulled off some sausage that was on so now there are only 3 racks of ribs and temp has dropped to about 265.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If(?) you have a serious air leakage problem, you would have NO lump left after every cook ??
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My xl couldn't pass a "deck of cards test" and has no gasket.

You need to light less lump. Plain and simple.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MacD1988
    MacD1988 Posts: 11
    I have the same problem. I've tried everything. I agree it's all in the amount of lump. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Love these look backs. B)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MacD1988 said:
    I have the same problem. I've tried everything. I agree it's all in the amount of lump. 
    Amount Of lump has nothing to do with it. Your car does not go faster because you have a full tank of gas

always a throttle problem. 

First, don't go too high. Then, limit the lower vent, upper, or both

it's all about air flow

the BGE is only too hot when there is too much airflow. Too hot? Dial back. Choke it down

you can't be worried about both running too hot AND choking the fire out
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Sounds to me like the lid is not seating correctly after the gasket replacement. Have you tried the dollar bill test?
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • MacD1988
    Yeah, I disagree with your opinion. When I've got the bottom vent almost completely closed and the daisy wheel almost the same, and I'm still hitting three hundred? I also usually light in 4 locations with BGE natural starters. I may need to cut that down to one. I started dialing the "throttle" at 250. Closed the bottom vent but 1/4 inch, and closed the top down to about a half inch maybe less. Still hitting 300. 
  • "Started dialing down at 250"

What temp do you want? 275?

Your fire is too big. Don't let it get big

that means light fewer spots. Or dial down sooner. Or close the vents more

if your egg is too hot, your vents are still too open

this is pretty clear cut stuff. Not sure why we chase out tail (and logic) around on this

You don't need to light in four place if all you want is one small fire

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• MacD1988
    That's a very solid point. I need to light less places if I'm just looking for 275. Thanks for the info.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I always light in 4 places. No matter what temp I want. Always have and have never had a problem. That said, Crenshaw has forgotten more about egging than most of us will ever learn. Listen to him.

Darby? Where did you get that name anyway? I know where Earwicker came from, but I haven't figured out this one. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    I always light in 4 places. No matter what temp I want. Always have and have never had a problem. That said, Crenshaw has forgotten more about egging than most of us will ever learn. Listen to him.

Darby? Where did you get that name anyway? I know where Earwicker came from, but I haven't figured out this one. :)
    About time to change it up  anyway

EDIT: and i dunno much. I just know i used to light in three places or maybe four, and i'd be roaring in no time. Searing steaks in minutes

i lit three or so for low and slow too though. Opened the egg one time, too add smoke wood when i was cruising at 250. I noticed that. 250 fire is fairly small. Fist sized. 

So why light four fires of the same size, and then try to rein them in so they all shrink back to the equivalent of a fist sized fire?

Like hitching up four ponies when i only need one. So now i leave the other three in the barn

• MacD1988
    It's pretty solid logic. I'm gonna try that next time for a low and slow. Will post results. My rack of ribs turned out wonderful for the record. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I believe you are letting the fire get too hot at the start. Choke it down sooner and be patient as the ceramics heat up and the temp rises slowly. It's a tricky dance between watching the thermometer and waiting for the thermal mass to heat up. During this process, the reading on the thermometer is not truly indicative of where you will land. Just remember, it won't go down, always up.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Regardless, there's not much difference ultimately between 250 and 300, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    NOLA