Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

URGENT - Serious Travis Brisket Question

Options
I am doing my first Travis Method Brisket. I have a 6 pound piece of brisket that went on 2 hours ago. The internal temp is reading 201 already. I have two different internal probes in and there is little difference in reading. Dome temp has been slightly over 300 but has been steady. WTF? What happened to the plateau? What happened to 1.5 hour per pound? Any thoughts.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I am doing my first Travis Method Brisket. I have a 6 pound piece of brisket that went on 2 hours ago. The internal temp is reading 201 already. I have two different internal probes in and there is little difference in reading. Dome temp has been slightly over 300 but has been steady. WTF? What happened to the plateau? What happened to 1.5 hour per pound? Any thoughts.

Did you probe it with a thermapen? If its done, it's done. Pull it off and FTC. Briskets can be weird, especially when they're boiled in allegro and shiner. :P

Is your dome thermo calibrated?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    If you have an instant read double check. If not, pull and reset then reinsert the probes. If its really done then like Cazzy said,its done. Check it with a couple of forks and you can tell. Don't worry about it. Foil it up and eat early. Briskest can be crazy sometimes.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I have pulled it and have checked it with 3 different probes now and they all say 200-206.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I find that my briskets do cook faster using the Travis Method but 2 hours does seem short. But like @Cazzy says ...each brisket will be different. If it is done, it is done.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

2 hours, no way. But if IT is 200 by thermapen, then FTC.

If it was indeed 2 hours, can I buy your egg please?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Philicious
    Options
    This is really nuts and gives a new meaning to cook to temp, not time. I have it wrapped in foil for now and am going to check all 3 probes. I ate a piece and it sure was good. But, the meat does seem a bit tough.
  • Philicious
    Options
    Full disclosure - I am not using a Thermapen. One of the 3 probes is the Maverick 732 and two other old faithfuls that I am too embarrassed to give the names.
  • Philicious
    Options
    How long can she stay FTC?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If your probes are accurate then speed to temperature (aka thermopen) is not a big deal with low&slow cooks.  So trust and then believe your indications unless you have a good reason not to.  WRT how long can you hold, with a good wrap in foil and lots of towels to eliminate air space and a good cooler you can get 4-5 hours easily.  Once in the cooler don't open til ready to slice (against the grain) and eat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Options

How long can she stay FTC?

When are you planning to eat?

Some have FTC'd for 8-10 hours. I personally try to limit it to 4. For a extended hold, make sure that towels completely fill the chest as it will ensure it's fully insulated.

Some throw it outside in the sun, but that's how I get dinner sometimes. I drive around neighborhoods looking for random ice chests sun bathing. Just replace the meat with a brisket shaped foil ball and broth, that way they scratch their head! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Philicious
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I recall rated all three probes and they all seem fine. My head is all F@$&?ed up just like the first time I watched the plateau. Planning on eating around 3 Eastern.
  • Philicious
    Options
    And what about the plateau? Did my stuff not break down like it should have?