Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long before I put a butt on the egg should I rub it?

Options
Is there any benefits to putting rub on a while before you smoke it?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I usually just rub it right before I put it on.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I typically rub my butt the night before. Then I rub it some more an hour to showtime and then right before. I get a bit more levels of flavor but guests always rave at how delicious the butt is.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Depends on the rub and the desired affect
    HFX NS
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've done it 5 minutes before and 24 hours before and I can't tell a lick of difference.
  • stranny00
    stranny00 Posts: 36
    Options
    I was planning on using some mustard and dizzy dust

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I like putting anything with salt on just before the heat, I feel it weeps out the moisture from the meat.  I could be wrong.. in fact, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I like putting anything with salt on just before the heat, I feel it weeps out the moisture from the meat.  I could be wrong.. in fact, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Actually if you use a lot of salt you're likely better off leaving it on for a while it will reabsorb kind of like a brine
    HFX NS
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Duganboy Posts: 1,086 5:38PM I've done it 5 minutes before and 24 hours before and I can't tell a lick of difference. Agree
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Usually the night before... at least 12 hours.  And then wrap it real tight in plastic wrap so that any moisture that the salt pulls out forms a brine and is held close to the meat.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am putting on two butts right now for tonights dinner, I rubbed them last night and wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator. I like to think the rub will get into the meat more doing it this way but who knows for sure they are always eggcellent. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very last minute for me. When the temp is stable, I take it out of the fridge, rub and throw it on. I've tried longer and noticed no difference. Btw, I rub it very heavily, no meat showing at all. And no mustard.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have tried any combination you can think of-- 24 hours before, right before, 6 hours, 12 hours, and I just like doing it 12-24 hours in advance. No particular reason I just don't like doing everything at once
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I have tried any combination you can think of-- 24 hours before, right before, 6 hours, 12 hours, and I just like doing it 12-24 hours in advance. No particular reason I just don't like doing everything at once
    I'm with Chubbs. BBQ was an event growing up(tending low and slows all night on a kettle and off-set) so I inherently am drawn to that. I like it being a 2-3 day process sometimes. Idiosyncrasies abound here, methinks. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    If i have the time, AND THINK OF IT(?), i like to put the rub on the day before and wrap it in plastic.  Most of the time it gets rubbed while the egg is heating up.  I use Bad Bryon's Butt Rub and it seems to melt quickly with the moisture of the meat, so i really don't taste a difference in the finished product? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Salting the meat in advance helps.  Rubs have salt.