Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE vs XL BGE

Options
I have cooked on a large BGE for about 2 years now. I finally got around to buying my own egg a few weeks ago and while many many of my friends tried to convince me to get the Large I went with the XL... I don't get it. With the new improvements to the dome, I can't find a single reason why I would ever own a large when there is an XL available. Am I missing something?   (I didn't do much outside of basic grilling and very limited smoking on the Large, but still I'm pretty comfortable with it)
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Remaxpat
    Remaxpat Posts: 13
    Options
    Price, more lump, more chips, don't need extra space... don't have room for xl on patio.... that is all I can think of.....and as a single guy, even a large is a lot of unused space.  I have lots of leftovers even with a large.
    LBGE replaced a 22.5 Weber Kettle and Weber Gas grill.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Remaxpat said:
    Price, more lump, more chips, don't need extra space... don't have room for xl on patio.... that is all I can think of.....and as a single guy, even a large is a lot of unused space.  I have lots of leftovers even with a large.

I have found the increased lump usage to be WAY oversold. I'm not noticing much difference from my experiences on a large.  

I guess there is the flat out not needing anything bigger crowd. I do cook a lot for large groups.  I'm assuming a lot of the negatives I heard were about the xl before the dome change.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    love my xl. you can cook indirect and direct at the same without the platesetter. I think for the money and if u have the space it is the better deal. More grill space.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a large. I can't find a single reason why I should have bought one when there was a Medium, or even a Small available. But I didn't know that then. Everyone said, "it's the most popular size" or, "there are more accessories available". Four years later, I own very few accessories and every one of them is available for all sizes. I would be SO BUMMED if I had wasted the extra cash on an XL!

Depends on how much you cook and how much lump you're willing to burn for that burger.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    The lump argument is BS. I have an XL and a MED. They use the same amount of lump for cooking the same thing. For example, cooking two chicken breast uses the same amount of lump on either egg. I'm sure there is a small difference that a scientist could determine but to the naked eye, they are equal. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The lump argument is BS. I have an XL and a MED. They use the same amount of lump for cooking the same thing. For example, cooking two chicken breast uses the same amount of lump on either egg. I'm sure there is a small difference that a scientist could determine but to the naked eye, they are equal. 
    Yeah, the lump issue is only brought up by people who don't own an XL.

I was ready to go through a ton of lump, I even bought the Ang-L brackets and the lump reducing rings, just to find out that it's non-issue to start with...

Oh well, the angl brackets are still very useful! (reverse sear is silly easy with all the accessories I have.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I have a large. I can't find a single reason why I should have bought one when there was a Medium, or even a Small available. But I didn't know that then. Everyone said, "it's the most popular size" or, "there are more accessories available". Four years later, I own very few accessories and every one of them is available for all sizes. I would be SO BUMMED if I had wasted the extra cash on an XL!

Depends on how much you cook and how much lump you're willing to burn for that burger.

Do you not entertain?  I can always reduce the lump size. But you can never increase your grid space.  

Obviously there is a definite market for all the sizes, I was really worried that the XL simply wouldn't perform as well as the Large and I haven't seen that in any way. Works the same, just more real estate and options to work with.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'd say that it's a personal decision. I had a shot at both and I chose the LG. My decision had to do with total cost, available poarch space, vs cooking space needed. Lump use didn't even factor into the equation for me. It's all good.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have an XL. Or a Med. All I know is that I can cook a couple of burgers or pork T or chicken parts on my mini using a helluva lot less lump than on my large. Obviously, if you need more real estate and can afford the XL, get one. The Large is bigger than I need. And burns considerably more lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options

I went to my dealer and was set on buying a large.  The wife looked at the large and then the XL and said I should get the XL since it was not that much more money and was quite a bit bigger.  Who was I to argue with her so I bought the XL.  The large would have been fine for most of the cooks I do for my family of four.  However, it has been nice not worrying about grid space especially when cooking veggies alongside the proteins.  You can always get the adjustable rig  for the large, which would help, but then again I have one for my XL.  I use it more for the adjustable grid height than I do for multiple grids.

Another reason I’m glad I bought the XL is because I wanted a big Paella pan so I could cook Paella when I have company.  You can’t get a very big Paella pan on the large and still have the ability to close the dome.

If you even think you might need the extra real estate, can swing the price, and have the patio space, I say the XL is the way to go. 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I say get the biggest you can afford but save money in your budget for a smaller egg. Personally I see no need for more space than a large with an AR. If I need more space, I have a mini for sides, apps, or small weeknight cooks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I had a large for 16 years and gave it to my son and got an XL.  When I had three kids at home, I had a large.  Now it is just me and mama and I have an XL, huh.

The XL just gives you so much room and versatility.  I use the lump reducer ring and it works like a charm.
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Options
    I originally was going to buy the L, but in the end bought the XL for the extra grill space.  My first cook was on Memorial day, and the wife invites everyone over for "Mike's first use of his new egg."  Talk about pressure.  I did 8 racks of ribs, low and slow.  I was worried that even the XL wouldn't have the space, and I didn't have all the accessories to make it easier.  But I managed to get all 8 racks into the XL, some standing on their ends, some flat on the grill, cooked them low and slow.  They weren't perfect, but for my first cook I thought they turned out really good. 

My point is, I like the extra space of the XL. 
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm more in agreement with Carolina Q. I have a Large, and when I ordered it I was on the fence about getting a Medium instead. SWMBO thought we should get an XL. Deck space and $$ weren't considerations, but being able to get it home and to the backyard was (it was a demo egg, so pre-assembled). It's just us two, and we rarely entertain (twice a year?). I've been having fun with the Large, but I could've made everything so far on a Medium just as easily.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    this thread is all about preference not function. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a medium and don't have any regrets I bought that instead of a large for several reasons;

I was broke when I bought my egg.
    I have a family of 4, but that includes a 2 and 4 yr old.
    I had never seen an egg used in person and seeing is believing for me.

with all of that said I now have a job and I realize a decision between a large and XL is in the future (1-3 years future). kids growing to actual person appetites and eventually I'll be in a much better financial position than I was when I first bought my medium.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

GATABITES said:
    this thread is all about preference not function. 
    Preference I fully understand...   I was lead to believe there would be function issues with the XL or that it would eat up lump fast enough to make that a real consideration. It functions just as well as the Large and doesn't eat nearly the lump that I was lead to believe. I am guessing that the old XL really did NEED a dome redesign.