Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt - advice please

Options
Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Ive been reading a lot on this forum about Boston Butts. My plan is to cook at a Temp of 250 for about 2 hours per pound. I will cook indirect and pull at 195 degrees and wrap for a couple of hours. I have a couple of questions, however. I have a plate setter and a woo2 with cooking stone. Both can do indirect cooking. One raises the grid to the top of the felt and the other doesn't. Which should I use and will either impact cooking time? If I cook multiple butts is then time based off of the largest butt or total poundage? I'm assuming I calculate the cooking time against the largest butt and not total poundage. Any other suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Probably be more like 1.5 hours per lb @250.  Time is just as estimate, cook to temp and it is done when it is done.

I usually pull mine at 200, but you will probably be fine at 195, just make sure the temp probe goes in out like it is going in soft butter.

Use the platesetter and get the butt farther away from the heat source.

Yes on time per largest butt.

Butts are very forgiving.  Get a rub that you like and have at it.

You've got a good plan.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Sounds like you are on the right track.   I use a plate setter, grill is about felt line level.

Temp - anywhere from 250 - 300 on the dome, even a little higher is fine.   You are cooking to the internal temp -  195-200 - when you can wiggle the bone its done.

Use time per pound as a guideline only to plan your cook.   I tend to use 1.5 hours per pound for planning on a Boston Butt.   You can always foil and hold if you finsih early - or foil at the end if you are running late.

After you have been in stall for a while, and it starts to warm up over 175, I have turned the heat up a bit when I want to finish faster.

Go forth and make pulled pork - you got it conquered.

Cookin in Texas
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would go with the platesetter indirect.  Additional butts will add only a slight increase to your finish time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Agree with Duganboy higher in the dome is better and if your going to wrap for 2 hours 195 will probably be good, I do 200 as well and they are always done.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    Options
    Great stuff guys! I really appreciate the info. I'm honestly a little suprised the plate setter is getting the nod over the woo2. That's what I will use, however.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I only have a platesetter but higher in the dome is better IMO.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    On my best butts (on a couple) I slather the meat in mustard prior to putting on the rub.  The funny thing is, I don't even like mustard!  Ive only done 3 on the egg but have done about 10 on another smoker and I decided on my last one that I will never forget the mustard again.  But, in my opinion, it does totally change the flavor of the rub but in a good way.  imo, the rub and mustard compliment eachother well.