Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers)

A friend of mine gave me some peppers he has growing this year. I'm going to make a hot sauce but don't think I'll need much. These are supposedly the hottest peppers in the world.

Anyone have any eating experience??

XLBGE 

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    To quote Kurtz... The horror, the horror.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Can you dry one out for seeds and share some seeds with me?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm on my third bottle of Melinda's Naga Jolokia sauce.  Love the stuff.  Not for the faint-hearted or Canadians.  Or if you're from Iowa.  
    Forgot the picture. These look mre habenero ish. But from my readings some ghost peppers do. But he's used a few and they lit him on fire!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @aviator
    you wanting some seeds to plant?

Well what about Mississippi?? I know it ain't not Texas, but I don't mind it hot.

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Ultimate "dance of the burning a--hole" comes to mind!  Scoville rating-don't look :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Be careful with those, boss. Not for the faint of heart! :) Try half or one first, then figure out how much of it you can work with. Would not recommend eating it straight up - use it for seasoning your dish.

Nola - I lived in Iowa, so know exactly what you mean.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    Iowa just sounds bland.

I have a hot sauce recipe for that I wanna try for a base, add 1/2 of one of these and test? haha yea he gave me 3 and he said "go lightly with these".  

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Me and a buddy laughed our asses off one night (adult beverage was flowing) watching youtube videos of people eathing these.  I don't think any of dem fools will ever do it again.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzk

Mayonnaise is considered a spicy food in Iowa. Ghost peppers are considered extreme everywhere.
  • Aviator
    @MCN, yes to plant and grow. I live on HOT peppers. My wife says that it is the only "vegetable" I eat. Seriously, I munch on few of the sliced Jalapenos (fresh) while its waiting to go into a dish. I guess I got used to it.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    MCN: that's what I would do.

VI: I would have to respectfully disagree. The flavors of different chillies are very different, apart from the degree of heat they impart. I like jalapenos in certain things, but they don't fit in the Indian items I cook (Thai chillies work better). In some West Indian dishes that I've cooked (Trinidadian/Jamaican) the Thai chillies don't work as well as scotch bonnets in terms of flavor.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    You should start by reading this article first. These peppers sound very  dangerous:

http://tinyurl.com/nk2d44u

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    caliking said:
    VI: I would have to respectfully disagree. The flavors of different chillies are very different, apart from the degree of heat they impart.
    Actually, after thinking about it, I agree.  I use Tien Tsin peppers in my stir frys and they are hotter.  I guess I was thinking of eating them straight.  I rarely eat more than a sliver of the Tien Tsins in the final dish, but like the flavor they give.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    @shiff

hey man, my wifes family is from Lancaster

ha, and those people in that article are idiots

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    im thinking of something

vinegar
    roma tomatoes
    onions
    garlic
    half of ghost pepper
    sugar
    salt

I've got a few recipes to get a good mix of ratios, Maybe get one hot hot with a thin constancy and one a little like ketchup and not so killer hot

XLBGE 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    @shiff

I couldn't believe what they went through after eating those peppers.  Everyone contemplating eating those peppers should read the article.  Of course, some of the heat could be caused by where they are grown.  Perhaps US grown bhut jolokia peppers are milder.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Shiff said:
    @shiff

I couldn't believe what they went through after eating those peppers.  Everyone contemplating eating those peppers should read the article.  Of course, some of the heat could be caused by where they are grown.  Perhaps US grown bhut jolokia peppers are milder.
    I'm sure it would make a difference where and how they are grown.  

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Shiff said:
    You should start by reading this article first. These peppers sound very  dangerous:

http://tinyurl.com/nk2d44u

Read that.  They don't sound too dangerous, I mean, like they cause your junk to fall off or anything.

Love this quote: "It’s the flavors—a gorgeous vibrating chord of lemon, cut grass and florals. Roko cut it small because he wanted me to be able to appreciate it. With peppers this hot, the flavors get trampled by the pain."

Where there's a problem, there's a solution...and that solution is rotary distillation:

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/recipe-vac-rot-evap/distilled-habanero/
    @MCN, nevermind found it on Amazon.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Had a friend who tried one... said he could feel it entering his intestines. The flavor may be phenomenal, but you'd have to dilute it or remove the seeds. The place where they shot Man vs. Food in San Antonio requires gloves and mask when handling it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • nolaegghead
    I love hot food, but I don't like the feeling of passing forks sideways when playing angry birds in the morning....
    Aviator said:
    did you order them? there are some reviews on some of them that they didnt get the right seeds

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    I  don't get folks who eat whole chillies and then make videos about it. Its a condiment... you don't see poeple drinking a six-pack of ketchup in the evening!

@MCN: just my $0.02, based entirely on my preference, but i like hot sauces that have a consistency between that of tabasco sauce and ketchup. Tabasco is too runny for my liking, and ketchup-consistency sauces are a b!tch to get out of the bottle and mix into food. 

• nolaegghead
    Habanero sauce is my favorite.  Chunky, great flavor, hot but not too hot.  Melinda's version is excellent.
    you can put them in a crock pot on low to help them dry out faster. It only takes a couple hours for them to dry out and then you can use them whenever. Sometimes I like to throw the dried peppers in a food processor to make my own pepper flakes.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator said:
    did you order them? there are some reviews on some of them that they didnt get the right seeds
    I went with the one with the most + reviews. Lets see, for a few $ it can be that bad. But see if you can make one of them for seeds, or ask your buddy. Its always better when it comes from a known source.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    @aviator

He is making seeds for sure. His pepper plants are six foot tall. One bush has over 75 peppers on it.

They are being grown in hydroponic greenhouses :-B

I'm going to be turning over my garden next month and looking at doing only squash and beans outside, doing peppers in a small greenhouse.

@nolaegghead thought you'd enjoy a hydroponic read.

XLBGE