Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am the King of slow fire

TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
I never get in a hurry egging but I had a good laugh when I noticed it took me 45 minutes to get to 500 degrees.

Starter cubes. Gotta love em.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Weed burner
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TonyA
    Yeah, I have one. I just didnt have the propane there. Lazy.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Also Hi-Cue charcoal grate!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Bge electric starter... Replaced my mapp torch.
    Seattle, WA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    91% alcohol is very quick and burns clean and safely.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

I have been using the Looft Lighter - 2 min to light and get to 5 hundy in 5 minutes.  If the power is out or not close well, that's a problem. Noticed the corn - Been cooking mine in the husk - soak for 1 hr, peel back and remove the silk, lather up with butter and sea salt then secure the husk with some twine.  Total of 12 min at 4 or 500 - Turning occasionally.  Comes out good.  Barry, you are in major corn country - Lived in Lancaster twice!

Milton, GA.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Well...the time ( +/- 20mins ) it takes to get to stabil temp helps to burn off the undesirable VOCs.  They adversley affect taste and maybe even long term health.  I generally light with cubes ( lazy ) and 30 min later cook.  IMHO..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    cookinfun said:
    Well...the time ( +/- 20mins ) it takes to get to stabil temp helps to burn off the undesirable VOCs.  They adversley affect taste and maybe even long term health.  I generally light with cubes ( lazy ) and 30 min later cook.  IMHO..
    I agree - Also let it stabilize but it heats up quick.
    Milton, GA.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You're not the king of slow fire till you can hold <150 for hours on purpose.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I always balked at getting an egg because I didn't want to mess with charcoal anymore. So I suffered cooking on gassers for about ten years and thought the food tasted good. Since getting the egg and tasting how great the food is I do show pictures of my cooks and BRAG about how good the egg really is. Not sure if I have helped sell any eggs but owning an egg definitely makes me proud.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • TonyA
    @flynnbob those corn started out in a foil packet with some butter and salt. Then just got a quick kiss on the grill to caramelize some of the sugars.

@griffin I figured somebody would eventually call me on that after I posted it. Fair point. This fall ill do some salmon; see if I can live up to my word. I'm good for a challenge.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @TonyA, hope you had a sufficient supply of adult beverage to get you there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm also a big fan of the 91% alcohol. Really to easy. Just remember its not that flammable in the winter as to a nice hot summer day. I got use to using it in the winter and when summer came around i didn't even think about it and lit it with a unexpected hot flash because of the temp. just let it vent before lighting.  
  • TonyA
    @Jrod72 or @Shiff, how do you guys apply the alcohol?
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited June 2013

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Hi54putty said:
    Weed burner

TonyA said:
    Yeah, I have one. I just didnt have the propane there. Lazy.
    Me too, but it only comes out when sitting by the camp fire and playing the guitar at night :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    TonyA said:
    @Jrod72 or @Shiff, how do you guys apply the alcohol?
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • TonyA
    i'm going to have to try that .. i like it.