Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig TriTip....

SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

Here's pic from the TriTip class in which we seared several beautiful beef tri-tips at 500 (turning every 3 minutes) until we reached a 130 internal temp.

Topped with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks....good eats.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    That looks delicious!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks great - can someone send me a Tri-Tip?  Can not get them around here.

Garnerville, NY
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Man that looks really good! I've never had tri tip before...never seen it in the stores here in Maryland. I need to find a butcher and try and get some.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've seen tri-tip at Costco here, but am yet to try it. They are sold 2 to a pack, so I may try it next time I have company over. Yours looks good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    frankc623 said:

Man that looks really good! I've never had tri tip before...never seen it in the stores here in Maryland. I need to find a butcher and try and get some.

I think I've seen it at Trader Joes, although that was likely a while ago and it may have been pre-marinated, so you might not want it, but might be worth a phone call to a store.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Acn said:

frankc623 said:

I think I've seen it at Trader Joes, although that was likely a while ago and it may have been pre-marinated, so you might not want it, but might be worth a phone call to a store.
    Actually picked up a tri tip at Wegmans for tomorrow's Father's Day cook.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    It's mostly a Cali cut, not common elsewhere. The pre marinated ones at Trade Joe's I've found to be highly variable. The most important thing with tri tip is slicing it correctly, which is tricky. 

So Smitty, these were basically 500 direct to 130? About how long did they take? I love tri tip, but haven't tried doing it this way. Been getting nice results with reverse sear.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

Around 25/30 minutes.   Keep turning the meat, this is a method I like for cooking steaks as well.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Doing one tonight. Never heard of the constant sear. Gonna try it. Trader Joes carries tri tip but I think they are all marinated which I don't prefer.
  • +1 on reverse sear, but I am really interested in this technique, sounds like a winner.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407

Did my most recent Tri tip direct at 450 turning every 3 minutes until 125-130 throughout with Morro Bay Rich's seasoning. Good bark, but didn't seem to be as flavorful to me. Not sure if it was just a tasteless cow or not (Costco and I trimmed it fairly close).

Probably go back to reverse sear next time (or, gulp, "sacrilege", use a different grill)

South SLO County