Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Splits or Chunks for my XL

Options
Looking at buying some smoking woods and have the option for Mini Splits or for chunks. Any benefits/disadvantages one way or the other?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited June 2013
    Options

I personaly do not use much in the way of smoking wood when we cook our "smoked" cooks.  1 or 2 fist sized chunks do the trick.   So either would work IMO along as the quanity is right.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• chris123stock
    Options
    Nope, no difference I can find.  Splits are bigger so smoke longer, I cut mine down. I think they use splits in commercial,  and larger smokers. I just got them because it was the only way they were selling peach at the time. pretty sure there is no differance. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I prefer chunks just because it is easier to vary the quantity used.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.