Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day cook ideas

tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I'm surprised Delta is letting me post this at 30k feet. What is everyone cooking (for themselves i'm guessing) for Father's Day? Besides watching the 3rd round of the US Open (due to predicted rain) I'll be egging ribs. St. Louis style that is. Happy Father's Day!
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Maybe a prime rib or a cowboy steak and green lightning shrimp

Garnerville, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Have the in-laws over and my FIL is a pretty plain eater so we're just doing some hamburgers and sausages. I am planning on putting a brisket on Friday night for Saturday's dinner.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm doing an 8LB Butt on Saturday and some burgers on Sunday with grilled corn
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • We're doing pizzas:  sausage and onion, margherita, white pie (tomato/feta and my wife's garlic sauce), and BBQ pork.  Might do a few ABTs/MOINKs, too.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I was considering putting a Butt on Friday night then some roasted corn to go with it on Saturday. Maybe a nice strip steak on Sunday.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am driving about 150 miles today for a lunch meeting with some friends.  On the way back i am going by a Costco store.  Due to recent photos on the forum, i will be checking out their tri-tip and if they don't have that i'm going with their ribs.... membrain removed ribs of course!!!
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    I doing my first steaks on the BGE. Based on how great evertng else has turned out, I think I'll splurge and get a couple of prime cut strip steaks.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Breakfast pizza Saturday morning, spatchcock birds for late lunch when the rest of the family comes up.  For Sunday, my biggest goal is to try bread again.  Need a good recipe.
  • I'm with you on southwest at 30,000 feet Love the ideas I'm grilling ribeyes, abts, twice baked potatoes and grilled Ceasar salad Happy Father's Day
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Two big racks of St Louis style ribs.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Hi from down here!  Where are you heading?

I haven't decided on our Father's Day menu yet.  :-$
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Pig Shots, Green lightning shrimp, grilled romaine with blue cheese and bacon crumbles, twice baked potatoes, grilled bbq bread.

For dessert, going to try the molten lava chocolate cake recipe in BGE large cookbook.  My brother in law says he has tried four different lava cake recipes and this one is the best.  Probably will cook that in the oven since it is done in muffin tin and will be doing a large batch.  (and if you look for it in BGE cookbook, I think it is in the special chefs section in the back--my book is screwy b/c the recipes in that last section don't seem to show up in the main index so you have to thumb through at back to find it)

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    We are breaking in the new Egg I'm giving my Dad with St Louis-style ribs.  I'll have mine along to do the pig shots and tri-tips.  For dessert, I was thinking about about the Apple Crescent Roll Dumplings Foghorn introduced a couple months ago. 
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    This past week I cooked my first Spatchcock chicken. My Father really liked how moist it was and requested i cook him "2 or maybe 3 if I could" so he could use it for the week. So happy Father's Day to him. That will be the easiest gift I give him and he'll thank me for it the most!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    My wife is cooking for me for a change. Since getting the BGE, I've done most of it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just gotz back from the grocery I bout 2- 3lb chuck roast, 5lb chicken and a 5 1/2lb brisket(flat). . I gotz a good weekend ahead of me!!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Just picked up a 9 pound butt and a 12 pack. First time doing a low and slow on my new egg. Lookin' forward to it.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Lakerone
    Lakerone Posts: 7

30 ish pieces of chicken, multiple dizzy rubs, loads of barbecue sauce, Car Wash Mike's twice bake potatoes, really love those, giant cast iron skillet of cornbread, s'more pizza for dessert...

Can't wait to try new SS vent top from eggware.net, looks great!

• cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    9 lb butt with some hickory and some dizzy pig. Yum
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Publix in my area has bone in ribeye for $5.99/lb, and lobster tails for $6.99 each.  I actually did a test run last night for some surf and turf.  May have to do it again! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    I'm between spare ribs, steaks or a brisket. I've never done a brisket so I'm a little hesitant. Plus BJ's only has small flats..not sure if its worth my time.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @frankc623
    Go to J.W. Treuth's in Oella(near Ellicott City). They have packers for 3.99/lb. Wagners in Mt. Airy is another option. 3.89/lb but they are only open until 5:00pm. Treuth's is open until 7 tonight.
  • frankc623
    @Eggcelsior - Thanks for the info. I will probably check out Wagners first. Its about 30 Minutes closer and I can stop by Cozy Pools and Spas and pickup some lump/check out their eggcessories. 
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    edited June 2013
    @frankc623,
    That's my dealer. They have BGE Lump, WGWW, and Mali's lump. She typically has a good assortment of rubs and eggcessories. Dizzy Pig, KosmoQ, Red Brothers, Walden Farms.

Oh, they sell pool stuff too.

Good people.

Wagners is open 730 to 1pm tomorrow. Closed Sunday.
  • frankc623

@frankc623,

That's my dealer. They have BGE Lump, WGWW, and Mali's lump. She typically has a good assortment of rubs and eggcessories. Dizzy Pig, KosmoQ, Red Brothers, Walden Farms.

Oh, they sell pool stuff too.

Good people.

Wagners is open 730 to 1pm tomorrow. Closed Sunday.
    Yah I've been there a few times. Nice people.
    Does Warner's usually have briskets in stock ?
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    @frankc623 I called to check the price. He said they did. I verified that it was a packer(does it have the point and flat?)
  • frankc623
    Cool thanks man
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD