Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter vs. stone

turtlesmoke
turtlesmoke Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am about to pick up an XL and need to decide on the plate setter or CGS pizza stone + pan for indirect cooks. I see most people have the plate setter, is it better for some reason? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Turtle I think most people have the platesetter because it a BGE product and when you buy the first egg you aren't going to know much about accessories from other vendors.

I have a platesetter and the PSWoo3 and it suits all my cooking needs, along with the woo extender.

The adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com gives you the most variations of cooking on the egg.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have a Woo + pizza stone (got the combo from CGS and its less expensive than a placesetter).  It does indirect cooks just fine and provides the spider and raised grill options.  I don't know if there is a benefit to the platesetter when doing pizza or other dishes compared to the woo + stone since I haven't tried pizza yet.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If i had known about CGS, I probably would have gone spider/pizza stone.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If i had known about CGS, I probably would have gone spider/pizza stone.
    That is my point about the platesetter being a BGE product. The vast majority of people don;t know about forums such as this one.  They buy the egg, the dealer explains what the platesetter does and they buy it.

When you start gaining more knowledge about ceramic grill cooking, then you know there are other options out there to consider.
  • Awesome thanks everyone. I think I will skip the plate setter and go with CGS adjustable grid combo that comes with the stone. This sounds like it will give me the most options. Thanks again!
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    I am looking for an alternative to a platesetter for indirect cooks on my XL.

I've thought about just laying 2 stainless steel rods on top of the fire ring to use as supports for a ceramic stone.

Anyone see any issues with this setup?
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    I am looking for an alternative to a platesetter for indirect cooks on my XL. I've thought about just laying 2 stainless steel rods on top of the fire ring to use as supports for a ceramic stone. Anyone see any issues with this setup?
    That won't raise your grill much. Another is to buy a second grill. Place one grill on the fire ring. Use two fire bricks to make "T" on the grill (set bricks on their end to raise the level) and put your second grill on top of the fire bricks. I tried to break my fire bricks and jacked up most of the. If you have a miter saw you could buy a brick saw blade and make some clean cuts to place around the fire ring then you could use only one grill.  
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Like cajunrph said, buy some extra grill grates.  Using a few bricks, cans or otherwise using MacGyver techniques, fashion "shade" for your food.  Adjust food height above shade to optimal height in the dome.  You don't need anything fancy and it isn't hard to do.  Use a pizza stone, cast iron skillet or something for the shade.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Get a spider and a grid to fit over it.  With those two simple items and about 6 different fire bricks you can make any cook set up that will rival the AR or Woo..Those are great gadgets, however they are rather pricey.  If you don't mind spending the cash, by all means go that route, but there are creative alternatives.  I bought an extra upper grid and used some carriage bolts to make my second tier.  My brother made my spider from stainless square stock and gave it to me as a birthday present.  I paid $1.70 each for my fire bricks.  My plate setter cracked while under warranty and I called to get a replacement.  They sent me an XL instead of a Large.  Well, I just cut the legs off and made an Octagon stone that is much more durable than any pizza stone you can buy.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    One vote for the BGE Plate Setter. I just received my Woo and have been experimenting with different setups.I like this configuration with my PSWoo3 and the BGE plate setter for Pizza. This provides a nice air gap and stable platform for the pizza stone.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    For sure, it is great. I just can't see shelling out that much cash for something that can be done cheaper and easier.  I'll use my savings for more grilling meat. :D

Simple ingredients, amazing results!