Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning stuffed chicken thighs

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
If we can find them in the grocery store I am planning on cooking a bunch of stuffed chicken thighs.

Plan is to use frozen spinach sauteed with fresh pressed garlic for a few minutes until no longer frozen. 

Slice the thighs open and stuff with the spinach and cream cheese.  Apply some DP Tsunami Spin and wrap the thighs in bacon.  On the Egg at 400 direct until they are ~175/180.

Question is how long should they take to cook approximately?  Anything else I should add to the chicken?  Going LOW carb as well.

Sound good?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    Thighs don't take too long... 12-15 minutes at 400 should do it. I am not sure though if having them wrapped in bacon will affect the time... I have never done that

Edited - I should have typed 12-15 minutes per side.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    You should thaw the spinach in the microwave and squeeze out all the water before you sauté it. Skin the breasts if you are going to wrap them in bacon. Wrap some pole to pole to prevent anything from leaking out the ends. I also would precook the bacon a bit. 

I also would cook indirect with a drip pan. The dripping bacon fat might create an off-taste from grease smoke. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I am doing the same thing on Thursday! Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with Havarti Creamy Cheese, Green Onions, and Mushrooms.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    I cook them for ~45 minutes at about 350F, raised direct. 
    I love the spinach idea!  Like @jlsm said, be sure to squeeze out all of the liquid.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If it's your first.. Try a few different stuffing. I like mushrooms, artichokes and provolone. Sundried tomato, basil, cheese. You can always de-bone regular thighs.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Kristi has nailed the chicken bombs raised direct- so I would go with her estimate of 45 minutes. 

Just thinking- if you are planning on sauteing the spinach anyway then why not use fresh spinach? Throw it in a saute pan with some olive oil and the fresh garlic and it will reduce down quickly.  It will continue to "shrivel up" as you cook so I would give it a pretty quick saute.  

If you would rather go frozen that's cool- but I would definitely drain it first like the other folks suggested.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    I can use fresh - just did not know how to cook it or how much (Since it reducing down to nothing when cooked).

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When the stuffing reaches around 165 F they're done.
    Use some big handfuls of fresh spin.  Med high heat stirring with tongs to flip.  Ready in 5 min or so. You can saute in half a cup water for healthier option.  Cool for 5 then squeeze out liquid.  Mix in cheese, stuff.
    MBGE in Charleston

• robnybbq
    Ok they are on - can we say SMOKEFEST? Neighborhood is now covered in smoke.

They better come out good as they are a pita to make. Not much filling will fit so who knows. Probably most poured out already. Maybe I needed Taradacdyl thighs to get some real amount of filling.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Smoke

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Ok I confess. WIN!!!!!!!! Really good. Will be better next time with some thick chicken/turkey breasts.

Garnerville, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    robnybbq said:
    Smoke
    Those look tasty. What set-up did you end up using and what was your cook time?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    They look great!  They are a PITA to make, but worth it.  :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Congratulations. Look very tasty. Look up "chicken saltimbocca." Lots of minor variations. I prefer using boneless thighs, but the method makes even breasts edible.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Nice job Rob, glad you liked them
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    This is what I did.

I sauteed fresh spinach in a frying pan with olive oil and fresh pressed garlic. 

I mixes cream cheese with some minced red bell pepper and a Jalepeno pepper.

I cut the thighs (near the bone) to create a pocket. 

I stuffed the spinach into the pocket then the cheese mixture.  I then wrapped each piece with 2-3 pieces of bacon and held together with toothpicks.

I cooked raised direct at 350 for ~ 45 minutes until the internal temps were 170 on the cheese and 175 on the meat.  I let site for 10 minutes when done.  Very Very juicy - I am guessing that and the bacon grease was the cause of the smoke.

BTW - They taste just a good reheated then today at work in the "Micro----".

May try some smoke chips like Alder or Pecan next time as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Most definitely a win!  Thanks for sharing the details.  Nice to hear they are good reheated- easy to stick to that low carb diet ;)

I agree that these are labor intensive.  You can try finding boneless/skinless thighs at the grocery store (I hear Costco usually has them).  This will save the step of cutting them.  They are pretty much ready to roll out of the package.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.