Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2.5 lb Cowboy Ribeye and King Crab Legs. What a birthday! (pic heavy)

My day started early, ended late and was chocked full of awesome the entire time.  After early morning fishing with my youngest, we got home and started prepping for dinner.

First step was to hit up the herb garden to create a paste for the ribeye. I'd seen a recipe online and realized that I had all the ingredients on hand, so I gave it a shot.   I picked some fresh basil, oregano, parsley and rosemary.  I chopped up some fresh garlic, and threw everything into a food processor with some olive oil, season salt and fresh black pepper.  It looked a lot like chimichurri, but had a different, unique flavor.  

After letting the paste sit on the steak for about three hours, we fired up the egg to cook indirect at 325. While it came up to temp, I set the meat on the countertop to come as close to room temp as I could get it.  At 2.5lbs, it didn't warm up too quickly. 

Roasted at 325 for a little over an hour, until it hit an IT of 120.  I pulled the plate setter, and ramped up the temp to 650. I seared it on each side for a little over a minute and then let it rest on a cookie sheet.  According to the Maverick, the temp was at 136 when we cut into it.  I expected to see a little more red for medium/medium rare, but it was delicious. 

We plated it up with some King crab legs, baked potatoes, grilled asparagus, grilled zucchini, and a salad.  The weather even cooperated enough for us to eat outside on the new patio furniture.  After dinner, we watched the youngest play a ball game, and then came home to ice cream cake.  Days don't get much better than that. 

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

2.JPG 471.8K
3.JPG 702.3K
4.JPG 613.5K
5.JPG 671.4K
7.JPG 600.1K
6.JPG 715.9K
8.JPG 627.4K

Comments