Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Meatballs, Smokey Tomato Sauce & Grilled Garlic & Cheese Bread-Pix Intensive

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
I attended my dealer's BGE event on Friday & Saturday, so I was not able to cook those days. Meanwhile I had picked up Cuisine Grilling's Great Grilling summer magazine supplement. I started looking at the recipes mid morning Sunday. I'd decided by noon time I was going to grill something for supper. This meal was 3 separate dishes that taken together made for a wonderful Italian meal.

The Smokey Tomato Sauce used: Garlic, onion, tomatoes, basil, smoked paprika, salt, chicken broth, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, olive oil and black pepper.

The onions were cut into 1/2" slices &  the tomatoes were cut in half before going onto the Egg, The Egg is set up for indirect grilling with the plate setter installed legs up and the s/s grill grate over. The Egg has been stabilized at 400 degrees & some oak chips have just been added. The tomatoes were smoke roasted until they softened.

Once cooled, the tomatoes & onions were cut up & placed in a food processor together with the minced garlic and were pureed until smooth in consistency.

The pureed tomatoes, onion & garlic are in a sautee pan where they will be brought to a boil. At that point the smoked paprika will be added and the heat will be reduced to a simmer while the sauce thickens for 5 minutes. Then I lowered the heat to keep the sauce warm until the meatballs get added.

The next step was the Grilled Meatballs. A zero tare Kitchen scale makes quick work of measuring some of the ingredients: for example the meats. I placed my mixing bowl on the scale and zeroed out the weight. Then I added the 12 ounces of beef (shown here). Next the scale was zeroed out again and the 12 ounces of ground pork were added.

The other ingredients for the Grilled Meatballs are added: Egg, minced onions & garlic, minced fresh basil, parmesan cheese, mozzarella pizza balls, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt & Italian bread crumbs.

The meat was divided into 1/4 cup portions and formed into balls. Before the ball is completely formed a mozzarella cheese pearl (ball) is inserted into the middle & sealed up inside the meatball.

The meatballs are on skewers & have been brushed with vegetable oil.

The skewers are on the Egg which has been stabilized at 375. Just before putting the skewers on the grill, I added a handful of wood chips.

The meatballs are done. I rested them, tented in foil, for 5 minutes.

Some minced fresh basil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper  plus the meatballs are added to the sauce and the sauce will continue to be heated on a low simmer until the pasta & garlic bread are done.

Time to make the Grilled Garlic & Cheese Bread. The ingredients are Softened butter, garlic, minced fresh basil, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese pearls (balls), salt & pepper.

The Egg is set up for indirect grilling at 350. I installed the half moon cast iron grill griddle to crisp up the buttered side of the bread.

The parmesan cheese & mozzarella cheese pearls are on the garlic bread which is back on the Egg where it will be grilled indirectly until the cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.

As part of our recent Kitchen renovation I purchased a new electric cooktop. One of the nice features is called Turbo Boll which is a burner with triple the wattage of a normal burner of this size. It brought 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil in under 4 minutes. This compares to 35-40 minutes for the old cooktop. I know I am going to love this feature going forward. The pasta was cooked on the stove while the garlic bread was finishing up on the Egg. The sauce is on a low simmer on the right burner.

The rigatoni is done & it is time to get the garlic bread off the Egg.

The garlic bread is done after about 12 minutes which conveniently was the time the rigatoni took to cook.

Time to eat! The pasta & sauce were served directly out of the pan on the stove.

The cheese garlic bread was amazing!! It had great flavor from the fresh herbs and a wonderful crispy crust. This is relatively easy to make and is so much better than the garlic bread in a foil bag that you buy at the supermarket to heat in your oven. My wife, who is not a bread lover, had 3 slices.

The Smokey Tomato Sauce & Grilled Meatballs were excellent. The flavors from the fresh herbs & spices were well worth the effort. Both the meatballs & sauce had picked up a bit of a nice smokey flavor from the oak chips. 

This was a case where this recipe looked great on paper and was truly excellent when made. My house still smalls like a wonderful Italian restaurant the morning after, 12 hours later. Next time I plan to make a double batch of this meal.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments