Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza setup

Can anyone tell me the setup for a pizza? I have AR, pizza stone, plate setter, spider, 13" stone...
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    edited June 2013
    I use plate setter legs up, standard grid,, second grid, stone. Use whatever you have to get stone as high in done as you can.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    If you have a large, I use the spider w/ stone, A/R with a grid as high as it will go, with the pizza stone on top of it. Get the egg to about 500 F stable , let everything heat for 20-30 minutes. Start baking pizzas. DO NOT FORGET TO BURP YOUR EGG AT THESE TEMPERATURE ! Be Safe !
    Should cook in about 7-8 minutes, might want to rotate it half way through.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    On my large, I use a platesetter, legs down, three terracotta planter feet, a mini woo and a 14" stone. For standard pies, about 450-500°. Works great! You need to raise the stone, but be careful of going too high. The higher you go, the closer the edge of the pizza stone will be to the inside of the dome. Too close and it will cut off air flow. I tried it about 1 1/2" higher than the pic below once - never again.

imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    +1 with @cparktx
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Any tips for transferring uncooked pie to preheated stone?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Build the pie on a wooden or aluminum pizza peel, first sprinkled with semolina or cornmeal (so it'll slide off easily). You can also use the underside of a sheet pan or cookie sheet if you have no peel. Some build the pie on a piece of parchment paper and just put the whole thing on the stone. Then, yank the parchment out after a couple of minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Thanks Everyone! Looks okay for a first time effort!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Cheat.  Build the pizza on parchment paper, pull the parchment onto a flat baking sheet, move to egg, pull off baking sheet onto heated stone.  Cook your pizza on the parchment on the stone.  When done, pull the parchment with pizza on it back onto a flat baking sheet.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I made pizza today and I used platesetter legs down and put pizza stone up on 1/2 inch nuts. I had better luck with no platesetter raised grate and stone. I'll go back to doing that
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    :x
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Melhill3
    Melhill3 Posts: 41
    Plate setter legs up reg grill, grill basket then pizza stone.  I would love to get this higher in the domeimage
  • Melhill3
    Melhill3 Posts: 41
    finished pizza that bit overhanging the front edge burned a bunch so I put it in the back for the finished photo.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Kruegs said:
    Any tips for transferring uncooked pie to preheated stone?
    No need for anything special, just flour on the peel.  I rub my wooden peel with flour and place the dough on.  Dress the dough up the way you like it while on the peel.  Have toppings/sauce ready so it doesn't take forever.  Shake the peel occasionally as you add stuff.  It will slide off easily onto your preheated stone and won't stick to the peel or the stone.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Melhill3 said:
    Plate setter legs up reg grill, grill basket then pizza stone.  I would love to get this higher in the domeimage
    I do it this way, but use an upside down Woo instead of the basket.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    If you flour your peel well and work quickly, it wont stick.  When pie is ready to go and you are standing in front of egg, pick up small side of pie by handle and blow small air bubble under dough.  Be careful.  Place peel on back edge on stone and shimmy it smoothly toward yourself.
    MBGE in Charleston

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    My new go to setup for perfect pies...