Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef, beef, and more beef

Options
I had the opportunity to go to the Meyer Natural Foods company ranch in Helmsville Montana this week to see how their red angus beef is raised.  It was my first trip to Montana, it is BEAUTIFUL country up there. 

Despite eating a ton of excellent beef for the time that I was there, I came home and had a hankerin' for more! 

First - Strip steak sandwich.  I experimented with sous vide, putting seasoned steaks in the bath then grilled for 60 seconds.  I over did the steaks for my tastes but it was still good.  Still experimenting with the sous vide machine but the jury is still out on it.

Next was a recipe from the new Real Grilling cookbook from Jamie Purviance - a coffee rubbed bone in ribeye with a stout glaze.  By itself the glaze didn't taste great but together it was very good.  Did 3 minutes a side at 500f.

Meanwhile Alexis had me smoke a pair of pork loin back ribs for a co-worker's anniversary.  So not beef but we didn't eat it either.

Finally my favorite was last night's dinner.  I made a THICK strip steak into Manhattan fillets and reverse seared them.  Roasted at 250f until 127f internal (right about 1hr 5min) and grilled 60 seconds a side at 500f.   The sauce was like a bearnaise but instead of adding a gastride of wine/pepper/tarragon I added my cajun rub.  Served with stone ground Cajun cheese grits and asparagus.

When I was leaving the Missolua airport, I saw this T-shirt in the shop and HAD to buy it.

Hope you all are having a great weekend! 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cooked your cochon de lait this weekend... Awesome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very impressive. What a great trip.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    great pictures beautiful country..love the Tshirt. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The rib-eye makes me drool.

T-shirt is good. My younger daughter volunteers at a wolf refuge. She has a picture of a young wolf licking her face. She has said, tho', that even "socialized" wolves consider noisy human children to be snack food.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Great pictures, thank you for sharing them. Did you take a food photography class, or is this just success through experimentation? I wonder that of many of the posters around here...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn! Your pics and grub have me salivating. The pics of the ribeye in particular are outstanding. Can I be your neighbor?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Love Meyer Ranch beef.

As good as it gets....

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    "Did you take a food photography class, or is this just success through experimentation?"

No.  I did take a general photography class when I first got my DSLR several years ago so I got the basics of exposure and composition, but nothing on food.

Everything I have learned has been through experimentation, watching what others do (anyone remember Ricks Tropical Delight?), and studying pictures in cookbooks/magazines.  Plus a LOT of practice taking pictures for my blog ;) 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This