Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe I can market them as St Louis Spare Rib flavored gum

GQuiz
GQuiz Posts: 701
Finally screwed up something on the Egg. Ribs were tough as hell. Felt like I could rip a phone book easier. Have to say the flavor was otherworldly. Just shy of five hours, raised indirect at 250. Only lifted the lid to put on the Blues Hog Honey Mustard. That stuff tastes amazing. Ribs were previously frozen on sale at HEB. Well Forrest Gump said it right, "it happens."

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    How'd they do on the bend test? You think they were over or under-cooked?
  • GQuiz
    They bent but wouldn't break. There a chance they weren't done?

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yep! My guess is they were undercooked.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Here is a quick test. Cut one rib off, toss it in the microwave for a minute.

After which, tell me if the tenderness is better.
  • GQuiz
    Temp was 165. Do you take ribs up to 180-190?

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    250 just shy of 5 hours and the 2nd picture

My vote us under done. Just under done.

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    GQuiz said:

Temp was 165. Do you take ribs up to 180-190?

Very much undercooked. Ribs are not a fine cut like a steak. You need to break down the inter-muscular fat so you'll likely be above 180-190 to get that done. I have never temped ribs, as I usually do the bend test (occasionally I'll do the toothpick test).
  • Spaightlabs
    edited June 2013
    I don't do ribs by temp, I do em by time. I did 3 racks today, 260 to 275 dome for 5 hours. When they pass the bend test I pull one rack and take a sample... If they aren't done they are gummy cuz not all the fat has rendered down. @cazzy - good call on the microwave test.
  • GQuiz
    When you say bend test, what do you mean? Do they start to fall apart?

• cazzy
    GQuiz said:

When you say bend test, what do you mean? Do they start to fall apart?

Did they do this??

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Spaightlabs
    Pick em up towards the end and they will bend to close to 90 degrees, not at a right angle of course, and not break.
  • MrCookingNurse
    pick up half the rack with thongs, the other half should fall and bend 90 degrees. Never done temp on ribs, but 160 is way to low.  What everyone else said is perfect. 

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    Nope. I hate wasting good meat. Another hour and I would have been gold.

• cazzy
    Both of you are slow! LOL
  • MrCookingNurse
    @cazzy ... don't know what spaightlabs is doing but I'm writing a paper in my other window  :-B

haha it kils me, I type, post and boom oh yea I got to give the advice and then 
    :-?? reload and cazzy smoked me haha

XLBGE 
  • Spaightlabs
    I was always the slow kid...
  • GQuiz
    Gonna have to do it again next weekend. That Blues Hog Honey Mustard with the Dizzy Dust tasted incredible

• MrCookingNurse
    another thing, in the second picture the meat looks like a pork chop

haha I have no idea what that means but it's something cazzy wont say!

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    So GQuiz, did you throw a rib in the microwave? Honestly, this go around, your left overs will be better than your initial cook. 
  • GQuiz
    Make you a deal MCN, you too Cazzy, I post something FUBAR, please don't be afraid to point it out. The second picture does look like a pork chop. I'll learn. If it means getting hammered so be it. Just as long as I'm not worried about losing a tooth tugging on a rib. Only six months in on this journey... Got a ways to go.

• GQuiz
    Cazzy, I left half a rack in foil on the snuffed grill for an hour for a friend. Chances are they're perfect. Ironic isn't it?

• cazzy
    GQuiz said:
    Cazzy, I left half a rack in foil on the snuffed grill for an hour for a friend. Chances are they're perfect. Ironic isn't it?
    Yeah, they likely will be much better than the ribs you ate.
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    GQuiz said:
    Make you a deal MCN, you too Cazzy, I post something FUBAR, please don't be afraid to point it out. The second picture does look like a pork chop. I'll learn. If it means getting hammered so be it. Just as long as I'm not worried about losing a tooth tugging on a rib. Only six months in on this journey... Got a ways to go.
    @henapple

It's not quiet tuesday, but my pimp hand's itching

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    MCN, hope I'm not out of line. I want to learn. And I don't want to piss in your Wheaties. I mean it. Please don't be afraid to let loose if I tee it up for you. I spent 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon undercooking some St Louie's. One more hour and I would a happy man. But five other noobs or lurkers will learn while I get "pimp-slapped". My wings last night turned out great. So I'm 1 for 2 for the weekend. I'll try again next weekend. Thanks for your help.

• MrCookingNurse
    Ill make you a deal. Next time you post a cook that is terrible, ill just coddle you and pat you on the back. You'll think your the rib king and have a ton of your friends over and serve chewy plastic ribs.

Your first comment did not come across humerus, but sarcastic. You started asking for help and that is what you got.

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    I never meant to be sarcastic. I'm too new to offer sarcasm. The post just came across wrong.

• cazzy
    GQuiz said:

I never meant to be sarcastic. I'm too new to offer sarcasm. The post just came across wrong.

You're fine, MCN is just mad you didn't ask him about his KY Ribs. :P
  • GQuiz
    @cazzy... Trying the ribs again today. Will be patient this time. Trying a rack with Bad Byron's and the Raspberry Chipotle marinade from HEB. Will let you know. Using hickory chunks. Makes me salivate thinking about it.

• GQuiz
    Pay dirt!!! And let me throw in a plug for raspberry chipotle marinade from HEB. SWMBO does not like ribs. She did tonight. Used Bad Byron's for the rub. No coddling needed.

• pick up half the rack with thongs, the other half should fall and bend 90 degrees. Never done temp on ribs, but 160 is way to low.  What everyone else said is perfect. 

How do you pick em up with thongs? Wrap the middle string around one end?

Little Rock, AR