Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapped butt in cooler question

How long can a butt stay wrapped in a cooler?

Comments

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I have had mine wrapped and in the cooler for up to 4 hours and it was still hot when I unwrapped it.  Usually I will keep them in the cooler for at least 2 hours.  That is plenty of time to get the rest of your stuff done before you serve.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Several hours no problem. Get as many towels or blankets in there as you can. Butt might not be smoking hot when you pull it out, but it'll be plenty warm. Last one I did finished very fast and sat for 4 hours.
  • BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    I've gone 12 hours, believe it or not. Heavy duty foil and a beach towel.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I've done up to 5 hours. As mentioned above it wasn't smoking hot but it was plenty warm.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have brought butts to a family reunion -- three hour drive, and held butts "hot" up to five hours.  I pre heated two coolers with hot water.  The plan was to pull three butts as soon as we arrived and keep two in a separate cooler if needed during the reunion.  I have five different sized coolers and keep the butts in as small a cooler as they will fit.  Never open them until you are ready to pull is important.  I run a little duct tape around the seal, mainly from having people open the cooler.
  • I've had wrapped ribs still hot after 6 1/2 hours in a cooler.  

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Here you go: How Long Can You Hold Meat In A Cooler?

Just be aware that the "still too hot to handle" comment you often see is a bit deceptive.  115 degrees is about the temperature when you start to feel "pain" when putting your hands in hot water, for example.  So, you still have to think about the four hour rule.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah 4 hours max for me. Try for two or less.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Thanks Whiz- good info
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    BGElovr said:
    I've gone 12 hours, believe it or not. Heavy duty foil and a beach towel.

Friend that is sure taking a very big chance. I feel you are very lucky to tell about it. In the interest of this forum please don't try this. (IMO) BGElovr got lucky for himself and others. Once more just my two cents. If for myself: 4 hours max or fridge.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited June 2013
    If you're trying to go longer than 2-3 hrs definitely preheat the cooler with hot water. You can also warm a couple bricks in the egg during the last hour of the cook and toss them in the cooler with the meat. Just wrap them in a towel so they don't melt the cooler.

Edit- Just read Whiz's page. He's got a great write-up.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2013

hoffmand said:
    If you're trying to go longer than 2-3 hrs definitely preheat the cooler with hot water. You can also warm a couple bricks in the egg during the last hour of the cook and toss them in the cooler with the meat. Just wrap them in a towel so they don't melt the cooler. Edit- Just read Whiz's page. He's got a great write-up.
    If you look at the graph on my page, you'll see that in a plain cooler, with no preheating at all, the butt's internal temp was above 140 degrees for about 5.5 hours, so I would be fine with 8 hours (still 125 degrees), but probably not a lot more than that. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I have gone 6 hours in my Yeti. Took them to a party and still plenty warm. Served them up and no fatalities.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• I've left mine in there all day wrapped in foil and towel
  • FireTower
    FireTower Posts: 69
    Thanks everyone. I had it wrapped in lots of foil and two towels. I put it in a cooler that I had getting warm in the sun for a few hours. It stayed there for 4.25 hours. It was too hot to handle when unwrapped.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    With all these comments about spoilage, i have a question.  You go somewhere and bring the pulled pork -- all nice and steaming "HOT" when you pull it and place it in a serving pan.  People are served, and they return for seconds and even thirds!!  Now the left over pork is at near room temperature ----  do you throw the leftovers away???  If not, why doesn't it make you sick??
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I went 4.5 hours Wrapped in foil and towels and was still to hot to hold!!!