Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Group Salmon

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
THANKS to JJ & Cat for the Group Salmon post back in June (6/13). This is so DELICIOUS that I am posting to make others aware of it. If you want to see the original posts, go to the archives and look for "group salmon" on 6/13.[p]Otherwise, I incorporated JJ & Cat's ideas for the recipe:[p]Marinate salmon in equal parts bourbon, brown sugar & soy sauce for approx. 2 hours. I used pecan for smoke on my 300 degree egg. Probably obvious, but cook fish skin-side down and no need to turn. Only took about 45 minutes. Check for doneness a little sooner, though because you wouldn't want to overcook.[p]Honestly, it was amazing. My friends that came over for dinner kept saying how awesome the salmon was until I finally had to ask them to stop saying how great the salmon was!! haha[p]Thanks again JJ & Cat. I'll be making this again for July 4th![p]Tractor
P.S. -- Why is this called "group" salmon?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Tractor,
    Because when you make it, It draws a group. hehe

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    JJ,
    Then maybe you should call it "grouper." ha ha :-)[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• JJ
    Options
    Gretl,
    Does that make us groupees? hehe

• Gretl
    Options
    Tractor,
    I'm doing a big salmon filet tomorrow, and that method's looking really good to me. Do you grill it direct, or indirect? And if direct, should I use the grill extender? I have a large BGE, btw.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gretl
    Options
    JJ,
    Sounds a lot better than, "salmonees" doesn't it?

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    JJ,
    I'm interested in knowing what you & Gretl are cooking on your eggs for the 4th...[p]Tractor

• JJ
    Options
    Tractor,
    Both my large EGGs will be doing pulled pork and brisket. The small will be doing corn on the cob and acorn squash. The mini will be doing hot dogs for the kids. Home made cole slaw, pickled beets and hot german potato salad round out the menu. My dipping sauce will be available. Today brats and sauerkraut on wheat rolls, baked beans and macaroni salad.
    For liquid refreshment it is my home brewed honey amber. 6 gallons in my 2 party pigs. (Mini kegs)

• Gretl
    Options
    Tractor,
    I'm doing a salmon and I'll do a pot of black beans. They're different from the recipe Walrus posted. Basically it's a pound of black beans, soaked and cooked; save the water. Heat 1/4 C olive oil in a big old heavy pot; add two big onions, chopped. When they're sort of wilted, add two jars of pimientos (I think they're 4-6 oz jars, drained), 4 T red wine, 4 T soy sauce, about 1 t oregano, and 1/2 T sugar plus some pepper. I wait until the end to add salt, as the soy sauce is salty. Add the saved bean liquid and let cook on the Egg for several hours, adding more wine if necessary, until done. Serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro (if you like it, which I do!) [p]I did a trial run for a pot-luck this past weekend. GOOD stuff!![p]I'll do the Group Salmon recipe, as I was planning on doing a teriyaki sauce anyway and that sounds wonderful.[p]I'll serve this with a mixed green salad with sliced oranges, red onions, and avocadoes in a red wine vinaigrette, sprinkled with grains of paradise.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl