Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a new pancake topping (bacon wrapped bananas)

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Don't worry everybody. @Little_Steven and our long-lost friend McNuttly have a special relationship. I was once in your all's shoes.
    Your all's?  La-dee-dah Shakespeare.  It's y'all's, or y'allses'.  
    Everyone knows that its "y'all" or "all y'all". At least everyone in TX. :)

But damn! That breakfast is awesome! I never even thought of PB chips in pancakes, let alone bacon wrapped bananas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    That my friend is freaking AWESOME!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    Options
    BigWader said:
    ... forgot to ask... how mushy was your banana after 30 min on the egg? 
    pretty much very though the bacon held them together nicely.  One recommendation I would make would be to add either some brown sugar or Pineapple Head to the banana first before wrapping it with bacon to add more sweetness to offset the bacon.  I used bananas that were not quite fully ripe & they could've used some help in that regard
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Wonder if freezing the bananas before wrapping them in bacon would have kept them from getting too soft? Not sure though how you would get wooden toothpicks through them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Maybe a quasi freeze?  Like 30 minutes in the freezer so they're a little frozen, but not completely?
    Flint, Michigan
  • McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wonder if freezing the bananas before wrapping them in bacon would have kept them from getting too soft? Not sure though how you would get wooden toothpicks through them.
    Dewalt.  But seriously, it's not a problem unless you have an aversion to cooked bananas & if so there's no way around it, you'd probably not enjoy this.  They're so close to mush uncooked that I don't think there's a way to avoid them getting even mushier during cooking.  That said even after cooking & slicing they held their shape no problem.  Overall they probably have a texture that wouldn't be appealing to many people.  I love cooked bananas, routinely slice one up into oatmeal & then into the microwave for 4 minutes, after that treatment they're barely discernable as bananas anymore, they become more or less an unidentifiable flavoring...  or flavouring if you're an angry dwarf
  • WileE.Coyote
    Options
    Ripe plantains with brow sugar or pineapple head might be a good variation 
    Safety Harbor, FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Ripe plantains with brow sugar or pineapple head might be a good variation 
    I'd say resurrecting this old post for your first comment is a home run.  This thread predates me on the forum, but I so love this idea.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    henapple said:
    I really want to do this but very curios on the consistency of the banana after it cooks. Great cook man.
    Probably soft
    Without stating the obvious (@fred19flintstone already did), what difference does it make?  It's wrapped in bacon!  Great creativity, great pictures and great looking food.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I'm thinking dip that sucker in chocolate and to the freezer. Nice creative creation. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Glad this thread came back - I hadn't seen it.  

We need more of this out of the box thinking!  Will be trying for sure.

Phoenix 
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    for as long as i can remember we have added choc chips and sliced bananas to our pancakes when 1st poured into the pan and no problems when you flip them to do the other side, we have been doing it all wrong i find out now cuz we had our bacon on the side...who new. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba